1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIA Rhine II PCI Ethernet Adapter Connectivity Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jeanpave, May 23, 2010.

1. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Hi.

I have an older computer, running Windows XP. It has a VIA Rhine II Ethernet Adapter, which is really crappy. (I say this based on the problems it's given me since I acquired the computer.) It shows up in 'Computer Management' as "VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter".

Now, the problem: I was streaming a video online, through SopCast, and the power cord got disconnected. After restarting the PC, I noticed (for the third or fourth time in the computer's history) the Limited Connectivity sign. But, this time, no matter what I do, it won't go away.

In the past, it went away after a reboot; or after going into 'Network Connections' and disabling and then enabling the adapter; or after rolling back the driver; or even after going into 'Device Manager' and uninstalling the network adapter and rebooting. None of these methods work now.

Some more information: IPConfig says the IP address is 0.0.0.0; it won't ping anything; it won't release or renew the IP address; and I can't even get the damn adapter to uninstall anymore - after I press 'OK', to uninstall it, the whole 'Computer Management'-'Device Manager' thing freezes.

What can I do, at this point, to get Internet access again on this computer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Oh, and I'm 100% sure that it's not the Ethernet cable or the router-modem network. I couldn't be any more sure of that.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Should I put the Windows XP CD and install over the old installation (to repair it, not a fresh install). Would that fix the 'Network Connections'?

'Cause nothing seems to work now...

Thanks.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Thank you very much for the driver, Ddp.

It still doesn't work, though.
    I think something bad happened, because in the meantime I discovered that I used to have about 500 MB free space on the drive with the Windows installation, and now I have more than 1500 MB.
    Everything works as usual, however; only the Internet is not working.

But I think I should maybe run an antivirus and try a repair from CD.

Thanks again.

5. ddp

have you tried system restore to before the problem?

6. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Hi again, Ddp. No, I couldn't use System Restore, because I had disabled it after installing the operating system. (It takes quite a reasonable amount of space, and, from previous experiences, it doesn't really help if there's a problem.)

But now I'm quite baffled because I repaired the installation (by overwriting the Windows files with the CD, but leaving the preference settings intact), and the problem is still there.

Could it be that the damn adapter is broken? Maybe this is a hardware problem, actually?!!... Is there any way to check and know for sure?

Thanks for the help.

7. ddp

if have spare hd to load windows on to see if hardware issue or software issue. do you connect to a modem or to router because if modem & it has usb besides ethernet then try usb?

8. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Yeah, I guess I'll have to install another operating system, like Windows 2000, and see if that installation connects to the Internet. (I don't have a spare hard-drive, but I can delete this current XP installation for now because it seems to be the only way to make some progress.)

I have a router between the modem and the computer. But, if I take the computer to the modem, and connect through USB, and it works, does that mean that the network adapter inside is 100% functional?

9. ddp

ethernet & usb are 2 different things. try this, disconnect power & data cables to router & modem. shutdown pc. reconnect power & data cables to modem & router in that order. restart pc.

10. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

You might not believe this:

I did your thing with the cables and the rebooting; still nothing. I then even tried to tell it to 'Use the following IP address' (instead of 'Obtain an IP address automatically' - in TCP/IP Properties) because I knew the IP address the modem assigned to the home network; nothing.
    Then, in frustration, I just unplugged the power cord again. (I was thinking to move the PC and try the USB cable from the modem directly.) For some strange reason, though, I rebooted again. By the way, the CMOS time and date were erased, too, in the process... not sure if that was a factor in anything.
    When it got into Windows, the Low Connectivity warning was gone. I thought perhaps switching back to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' didn't take effect, but it had taken. I tried imdb.com, and a few other sites, in Internet Explorer 6, and they started to work.

I don't know how the hell it got fixed, but apparently it did. The shock of cutting the power did something to it. Also, in 'Network Connections', I see now an Internet Gateway - Internet Connection icon, too, on top of the Local Area Connection icon.

So, I guess I'll re-apply the Windows Updates I had before doing the CD Repair Install, now.

Thanks a million for your help and for continuing to post here.

P.S. Listen, from what information you know now about my problem, can you tell me, please? - If I had 'System Restore' active, could it have fixed this problem on the spot? Thank you.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  11. ddp

system restore most likely would have worked unless it was a hardware failure which it wasn't in your case. power failure should not have affected the cmos, how old is the motherboard? how big is your hd & how much is free?

12. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Okay, then I'll enable 'System Restore' and give it the minimum - 200 MB. Might help me if the power goes out, I guess...
    Thank you very much.

Oh, the motherboard is really old, for a computer - 2001, I reckon.

The OS HDD has about 500 MB free. (I did turn the warning that XP gives at 200 MB free off, though, so that shouldn't bother me.)

Thanks again, Ddp. Your advices helped.

13. ddp

no problem.