1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Via USB 2.0 and DVD burner

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by smilerdeb, Dec 8, 2004.

1. smilerdeb

smilerdeb Guest

Can any of you Guys help me?
    I have made my gigabyte dvdburner an exteranl one and am using a Via 2.0 usb 5 ports.
    The only problem is....I am having problems for an updated driver due to SP1 with Windows XP.
    I dunno what Im doing wrong but the puter just doesnt seem to wanna accept the USB driver.
    At my wits end here..any help appreciated.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you using the driver from via, microsoft or motherboard manufacturer. what is make & model of board

3. smilerdeb

smilerdeb Guest

I have tried both drivers to no success. The driver disk states I have to have xp sp1 and i have on my puter. But it seems that the usb card isnt giving the speed it should.
    Ihave an Athlon AMD 1200gz, 768mb ram, 80gb hard drive, cd rom in the computer and decided to put into an ecternal casing (dvd burner) as it was so slow in reading and burning dvds. Ive got 5GB used on my hard drive. Hope this helps. Thanx heaps.

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

You may need to install SP1 to load drivers. You can try this link..............

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/usb20drivers.html

If it doesn't work, install SP1 and you should not need further drivers. Your external USB speed will be 12Mbs untill you get drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2004
  5. smilerdeb

smilerdeb Guest

Microsoft have stopped allowing SP1 to be downloaded and when I d/loaded SP2 , I had nothing but trouble.
    I'll try the link you gave me and will get back to you .
    Thankyou

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

7. smilerdeb

smilerdeb Guest

Thankyou so much. Downloaded SP1a and it now shows as enhanced host controller with mass storage .
    Thanks heaps