1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video artefacts on DVD

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by GShep, Feb 26, 2023.

1. GShep

GShep Member

When I have a video segment in a Nero video-made DVD that has a horizontal pan, there seem to be artifacts (edges of objects blurred) as the video moves - unless the pan is extremely slow. This doesn't seem to happen if it is a direct shot of something moving (like a waterfall). Any idea what I can do to improve this? Maybe I don't have the right parameters when making the DVD? Any suggestions will most appreciated.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hi GShep- First of all, which version of Nero are you using and what is your operating system? Do you have the suite or just Nero Video? If you have the suite, open Burning Rom and select Cancel. Select Help, About. What is the version number?

In the Nero Video Movie Options, what is selected?

What is the resolution of the original video in your project?

If you recreate your project and play the video after leaving the menu screen, are the artifacts visible?

3. GShep

GShep Member

Windows 10
    Nero Platinum Suite (all apps up to date) Nero Video 25.5.1.56
    DVD
    Nero burning rom 25.5.1.4

Current video options:
    Video mode: NTSC
    Aspect ration: Automatic
    Quality: Keep source quality

Details:
    Audio format:Automatic
    Sample format:Automatic
    Encoding mode:Fast Encoding (1-Pass)
    SmartEncoding: Automatic (recommended)

Number of titles: 1
    1. Movie1 (Movie, 0h 24m 34s)
    - Audio SmartEncoding ratio: 0.0 %
    - Video SmartEncoding ratio: 0.0 %

Video disc menu: Advanced

Total space used: 1.52 out of 4.38GB (Quality: Keep source quality)

VIEW IN PREVIEW MODE AFTER MENU SCREEN:
    The horizontal pan 'fuzzy edge' artifacts do not seem to show up
    in preview mode (although the overall quality of everything in
    preview mode is not as good as what is on the dvd). Also, the
    artefacts do not show when viewing an exported .mp4 file

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Thanks for the information. It's kind of interesting that the fuzzy edge does not show up in the preview screen. Does it show up during playback on the Timeline. You didn't tell me what the resolution of your original video is. Also, I asked about the Movie Options. I presume you're using Make Advanced Movie. When you open it, click on Options, Movie Options. What is the resolution set to?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  5. GShep

GShep Member

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

You didn't say if the problem occurs while playing on the Timeline and what the resolution is for your original video. Please do.

You should change the resolution to either TV Standard or TV Widescreen because DVD-Video is only 720x (mpeg2).

I don't know if that would make a difference. For evaluation purposes, don't burn to a disc. Burn to your hard drive.

Also, what write speed are you using? I apologize for asking about the parameters. I've gotten rusty since the forum closed a couple of years ago. Normally, the first thing I ask a person for is the burn log which answers many of the questions.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Did I lose you? I have to ask a lot of questions so that we're both on the same page with what's going on and then, to try to find a solution.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

patience.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I'm always wondering if a OP got his/her problem solved and, if so, how.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

From what I've read I think the artifacts he's describing are being caused by Bi-directional frames. In order to squeeze a movie into a small enough package to fit onto a DVD media some loss has to occur. A DVD is basically made up of three types of frames, Intra, Predictive, and Bi-directional or I,P, B frames. An I frame is essentially a still image and the clearest of a group of frames, a P frame depend only on the previous I or P frame .To save time a Bi-directional frame catches image motion coming both in and out of a sequence of frames. Paused it often appears to be stretched. A person turning their head could appear to almost be looking in two directions at once. At 24 frames per second we don't see it as a blur and that gives it the illusion of motion. The lower the quality settings the greater the number of B frames.

11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Thanks for the information but it doesn't solve the OP's problem. Since he's become unresponsive, I don't know if all our settings are the same thus, I can't observe the problem and suggest a solution.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It does solve the OP's problem is he understands that he needs to adjust his setting to higher quality. Higher quality means fewer B frames, and less macroblocking.

13. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

It depends on the video he's using. He refuses to tell me the resolution. There are lots of settings or ways of doing things in Nero to remedy such problems. In most cases, I ask people to provide a copy of their files so I can get a first hand demonstration of the problem and then go from there. Note that I don't keep those files any longer than I have to. My first faux pas was not asking for a copy of the burn log. It would have told me most of the things I need to know. As I told him (and apologized), I've gotten rusty in my approach since the Nero forum closed a couple of years ago.