1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video/Audio Switch

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by MrBill57, Oct 26, 2006.

1. MrBill57

MrBill57 Member

HI Guys,
    I’m looking for the easiest way to switch between all kinds of equipment – Something I can use with a Remote and change both Audio and Video in with very few buttons from across the room. Maybe a switch and a Universal Remote that has MACRO capabilities.

On the output side I have a;
    Satellite = HDMI, Component, S-Video, and Composite
    DVD = S-Video and Composite
    Computer = S-Video
    And my old-old VCR = Composite

On the input side, I have a separate 5.1 Sound System and my HDTV/Monitor. The Sound system takes either composite or Fiber as inputs and the HDTV takes HDMI, Component, S-Video, or Composite.

Can anyone recommend a solution that can work with all the different inputs and outputs? What's the latest and greatest?

Bill

2. bajtra

bajtra Member

It depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of quality you want.

I like the Harman Kardon receivers.

At the low end you can plug in all your audio and video into the switch, then you need to send the same cable type to the tv.
    For example, you have a vcr with composite, a dvd player with s-video, and a cable box with hdmi, all going to the receiver. You'll then need to have the same cables going out to your TV then you'll need to change the input on the receiver and the input on your tv.
    A macro remote like the Harmony 880 can do this, and many others.

In the middle level you can have all the separate inputs and one HDMI or one DVI cable going to your tv. The receiver sends all the inputs out to the tv at the same quality it came in at.

Upper level receivers will upconvert all those different inputs to HiDef and send to the TV over one cable, or 3 if it's component.

Prices;
    Low end your looking at $200-$500 AVR 145
    Middle, $500 to $1000 AVR 245 and AVR 445
    Upper, $1000+ AVR 645 and 745

The Harman Kardon AVR's also will control XM radio and your iPod.