1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Card that supports Closed Captions?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by psdynpt, Feb 12, 2005.

1. psdynpt

psdynpt Member

Hello,

Is there a Video Capture card, that can capture an analog video program (say, from cable TV) in an MPEG-2 format and keep the closed captions, that are embedded in the source?

I often record video segments from cable TV (using Matrox RT-2500), then combine them onto a DVD. Unfortunately, this way I lose closed captions, which is a big issue for me.

I would appreciate any help!

2. cesine

cesine Guest

i'm also interested in capturing the captions. i think that the mpeg2 format doesnt support subtitles or captions. if i figure it out i will try to post an info sheet. have you figured it out?

3. pfh

pfh Guest

Unfortunatley I don't think you are going to find many affordable capture devices to do this. The little I know about captioning leads me to believe this but I could be wrong. Captioning is very reliant on correct time codes and syncing so it takes sophisticated processing for encoding and decoding. By the time you found the right equipment you'd be talking studio/broadcast stuff. I could be wrong though. Some of that higher end Canopus stuff might do it.

4. cesine

cesine Guest

by captioning law (in the us) that can display tv after 1993 must be able to decode captions. captions are displayed in "channel 21" or something like that. all video capture cards should be able to capture captions. there are some c++ scripts i found that can extrapolate captions, but so far i havent found much else

5. psdynpt

psdynpt Member

Thank you all for your posts. I remember that captions are embedded in the Video stream at a certain frequency. I also remember that there used to be one or two capture cards there (like one of the ATI all-in-wonder cards) that support them, but most cards don't. But then, if I found and bought a capture card with caption support, would I need a special MPEG-2 encoder that supports captions. In other words, would a typical MPEG-2 encoder usually strip closed captions, or would it usually let them through if they exist in the source?

I am just trying to understand, if my problem is with the capture card, MPEG-2 encoder, or both.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Minion (pretty please)?

6. rutiger

rutiger Member

The EyeTV card can encode in Mpeg and preserve the closed captioning. Unfortunately, its only available for Mac - I imagine you're on a PC.

I am also looking for a utility that can extract closed caption text from a digital file. Cesine, can you tell me where you found those c++ scripts?

7. psdynpt

psdynpt Member

Rutiger,

Did you try to burn a DVD, based on the MPEG file with closed captions, that you produced using the EyeTV card? Were you able to cut a DVD with closed-captions that way?

Thanks

8. rutiger

rutiger Member

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

10. psdynpt

psdynpt Member

Rutiger and Rebootjim,

Thank you for the links. This is very helpful.

11. savvybear

savvybear Member

Hi,

What capture card allowed you to capture the analog video program in an MPEG-2 format and keep the closed captions?...
    I would really appreciated the info! Thanks!

12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

13. savvybear

savvybear Member

Great!!! Thanks a lot for your quick reply!