1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video capture device ?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by rmunk, Jan 1, 2004.

1. rmunk

rmunk Member

I want to convert my home VHS & Hi8mm to DVD. I’ve been looking at different capture cards, but not sure which way to go. Top end seems to be the Canopus ADC-100, Pyro A/V link, or ATI all-in-wonder 9800, all around the same price. My question concerns the quality of output from these, are they equal in quality of output?

How about a lower cost capture device like the ATI all-in-wonder 7500, is the quality same or less as the above?

My system is an AMD 2800, WinXP Pro, and a 50gb partition for files.

Any suggestions on a capture device would be helpful.

Thanks, Bob

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I can tell you First Hand that the ADVC-100 is Far and away the Better choice for Capture Quality and features...I have also Owned a couple All In Wonder Cards and they were good Cards But they were nothing Like the ADVC-100 in Capture Quality pluss if you want to use an All In wonder Card you have to take out your Video Card and if you ever wanted to upgrade your Video Card in the Future you would also have to get a New Capture Card because the All In Wonder is also a AGP Video Card...And 50GB is not a Lot of Space when it comes to Video Capture, I personally have 280gb (one 120gb and one 160gb) and it gets used up Quite Quickly and that is one of the Advantages of the ADVC-100, it uses Hardware DV Compression which uses up a Lot less space than Uncompress Video which can take up to 1.2gb per Minute of Video...well anyways Definately go for the ADVC-100 the extra Monet you pay will save you trouble in the Future and the Quality will be Far superior...Cheers

3. shorty2k

shorty2k Member

If yo have a lot and i meana lot of VHS and 8/HI-8 mm stuff like me you may wish to consder to get your self a dvd reccorder (Standalone), you know kill 2 birds with one stone, record your fav TV/SAT programs and convert you VHS stuff, i mean if you take the PC route thats fine if you wanna do editing and addin nice little capter menus and stuff which i like to do my self, but sometimes you just want a straight conversion, and trust me thats the fastest way!

i mean think about the price of DVD recordes are falling rapidly, you can pick one up 4 £200 now.