1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video capture problem

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jonluc, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jonluc

jonluc Member

Hi, i have recently built a media centre pc
    Specifications:
    Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor
    Kingston 2GB DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 RAM
    MSI 945GCM5-F V2 Motherboard
    Radeon X1300 PCI-E Graphics card
    Maxtor 500GB Sata Hard Drive
    Optiarc DVD-/+RW
    MSI TV@nywhere
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    I bought the MSI TV@nywhere card primarily to use as a capture card and i used Nero Vision 5. The problem is that when i use the MPEG2 DVD settings both the video and audio are jerky and keep stopping and starting. I tried the AVI settings but the video and audio both froze within seconds of starting capture. I have also tried Virtualdub and Roxio with the same result. The MSI TV@nywhere card works fine for watching live tv and recording tv channels with Vista media centre. I dug out a Kworld USB DVD Maker that i have and tried that with the same results. I then purchased a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2. This works a lot better but i am still getting some stopping and starting even when using the WinTV software. This is driving me crazy, i have tried software and driver updates but the problem remains. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a solution? Please?
    Regards
    Jon

2. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

try using a pinnacle captureing program they seem to be the best. or try sony vegas or adobe premire and make sure your drivers are isntalled and updated

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Mainconcept was recommended to me last year.. It seems to work well as long as you have some serious hardware behind it.

sorry.. it's only a trial version.. goes against my principles to link to pay tools.. but this may be just what you need ;)
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Editors/Mainconcept-EVE.shtml

I like the way it will transcode to avi/mpeg on the fly instead of making 300GB files.

Not so sure about pinnacle.. http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews9805.html

The stopping and starting is endemic with analog video capture.. I think it's related to the total amount of data across the FSB conflicting with the needed writes to the hdd. It's a mystery to me.. but we did manage to capture reasonably from vhs by setting to vcd quality. It looked the same as the old vhs tapes anyway, so we were happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  4. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

that eve link dosent work
    can you capture with it as well?

5. varnull

varnull Guest

link works for me ;)

Yes it does capture.. we needed a tool to convert ntsc 4.43 vhs tapes to pal dvd

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  6. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

oh i tryed it it gave a 504 error : (
    i would like to try this program out because all the programs i use like vegas and premire capture in a smal like 3by 6 screen the pinnacle is full screen but i like the editors on vegas tho

7. varnull

varnull Guest

8. jonluc

jonluc Member

Hi, thanks for the replies and the advice. It seems i have been a bit stupid. The problem was with the original recording on my video. I had never watched the tape and it was the first time i had tried video capture on the media centre pc. I changed the tape and successfully captured video to mpeg2 on the hard drive with no problem. Now i feel like complete idiot. Lol