1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Quality

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by firewire, Jun 27, 2003.

1. firewire

firewire Member

Trying to capture to my pc and get the same quality I get when linking my camcorder to TV or Video direct. My Camcorder is a Sony PC100E and I'm using firewire interface. Any ideas why I'm getting a loss of quality? Using premire 6.5 to capture. Capturing to an AVI. Video card is standard 64 3d gaming card.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

What kind of quality loss? What do you use for playback when you notice the loss (software, hardware)?

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

It could just be the setup of the player.

Below is an extract from the Canopus forum:

Here's how to fix low-resolution DV playback on-screen if you're capturing to DV:

1) Open Windows Media Player
    2) Go to the Tools menu and choose Options
    3) Go to the Performance tab
    4) Click the Advanced button (Windows Media Player 7 doesn't have this, 7.1 does)
    5) Change the Digital Video slider to Large.
    6) Close Windows Media Player
    7) Open Windows Media Player again, and load your AVI.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

4. firewire

firewire Member

I've played the avi in windows media player and also converted the avi to mpeg to author a dvd. The quality is watchable but not as clear as I would expect. The quality I get on my authored dvd is the same as my avi file. I figure must be a problem with the capture. Would buy a better graphics card if I thought that would make a differece but sure if the qaulity of graphics card effects the quality of video when capturing by firewire. Any ideas?

5. tigre

Here (jvc gr-dv 4000, premiere 6.0, Windows Media Player 6.4) WMP's deinterlacing on playback causes loss of quality. I don't now if your cam uses interlaced or progressive mode (or if you can choose) - You might want to open the captured AVI with Virtualdub and use some smart/smooth deinterlace plugin if you notice these horizontal lines caused by interlacing.

6. jnihil

I didn't think capturing via firewire did anything more than 'wrap' the incoming DV stream to the AVI.

What do you mean exactly by loss of quality?

7. firewire

firewire Member

Output is not as sharp when compared to hooking my camcorder direct to TV. Sound is fine. Difference is piture quality particularly noticable when items are moving quickly.

8. jnihil

tigre may be right. Open the avi in virtualdub and frame advance around the high motion areas and see if you are getting interlacing problems.

9. firewire

firewire Member

I think the prob maybe due to interlacing. Tried to bring an AVI into virtualdub but I get the error message "Could'nt locate decompressor for format 'dvsd' VirtualDub requires a video for windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. Directshow codecs, such as those used by Media Plare are not suitable". I either need to sort this problemo out or be able to capture without interlacing problems. Any ideas. Just read "VirtualDub requires a decompressor for the input AVI's video stream, even though the decompressor may not be used." Could you recommend a decompressor to use? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  10. jnihil

I use the MainConcept DV codec.

11. firewire

firewire Member

I've installed MainConcept 1.3. If I try to open my avi in VirtualDub still get the same error message. I've also converted the file to mpeg, when I open this file I get the error message "mpeg import filter: pack synchronization error", any ideas? Or is there another piece of software I can use to resolve my interlacing issues. Thanks (Using Win 2K pro)

12. jnihil

Really? When I open a DV avi via vdub, the file info menu shows MainConcept DV Codec 2.3.1.

Perhaps you should use gspot and see if the codec has been registered properly.

13. tigre

I have Panasonic DV codec installed and it works for opening DV AVIs with VDub. IIRC I got the link at a sticky thread over at Doom9 DV forum and had to add 3 registry entries manually.