1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video capture using ATI X850XT

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by willybob, Mar 20, 2005.

1. willybob

willybob Member

Hi,
    Just a quick question, I am a little confused about how to capture video on my new PC. On my old one I had a USB capture device which worked ok but with my new PC I have a ATI850XT video card which I believe has video capture built in. Do I just need to get a standard S-video cable, plug it in to my video card and the other end to the source or is there a special cable I need. Also can I use windows movie maker with this as when I try it says there is no capture device?? If not what software would I need to get?

Confused...

My system is:
    Dell Dimension 8400 P4 HT 3.60Ghz
    1024Mb RAM
    256Mb ATI Radeon X850XT Platinum )
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 XS 7.1 soundcard
    250Gb (7200Rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    16x DVD +/-RW & 16 x DVD

It comes with Sonic software but I've not used that as yet, plus I have Powerdirector 8 and can get hold of a copy of adobe premier.

I am capturing from either Sky+ box which has scart and s-video output, older analogue video camera with basic phono connections and I have new digital camcorder with firewire (I have firewire on my sound card)

I know that I can only capture video using thew card and the audio has to be routed through the soundcard.

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Standard S-video should work.
    WMM doesn't work with ATI.
    Try the Sonic.
    The built in ATI multimedia center capturing software works really well. How come you haven't tried that yet?

3. pfh

pfh Guest

Also, check the s-video on the ATI card. Some use a 7 pin s-video instead of 4 pin and in that case you need an adapter to go from 7 to 4.

4. willybob

willybob Member

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, it looks like the sonic software isn't compatible either. As far as the ATI Multimedia centre is concerned, it looks like it is not installed on my system and I haven't got a disc for it?? I will have to chase up dell to find out why.

cheers

Mike

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

It's probably on one of the Disks that came with your Dell.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Freely download the Latest "ATI Multi-Media Center" software from the ATI Web site....

Also make sure you have the WDM drivers for your Card Installed and I guess you should make sure your Card actually has Video Capture Capabilities because I have a Feeling that the S-Video Port on the Card that you are Looking at Might be a TV-Out and Not a Video In Port as Most ATI VIVO Cards have a Composite/RCA input And a S-Video Input not just a S-video Input....

If you Look in your Device Manager the Capture Part of your Video Card will be Listed as something like
    "Rage Theater 200" and if you don"t have this Listed in your Device Manager it is Because you don"t have the WDM drivers Installed or the Card doesn"t have Video capture....

Cheers

7. Destra

Destra Regular member

Minion is right. You should have a small box that plugs into the video card and it will have Composite/RCA Input and a S-Video Input. If you have S-Video connector on your card it will be for output.