1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video capturing hardward????

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by bklyn1028, Dec 8, 2004.

1. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

don't wanna buy a video capture card, is there another piece of hardware to connect a vcr to, allready have a sony dru710a, so don't need a dvr. And i have heard it is hours and hours to capture from a vcr to a pc?....any help would be appreciated

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I don't know why you would not want a capture card. Some are inexpensive, but the one I have was not cheap. You can always get a video card that you can connect to, but that will cost more than a good capture card.

As far as capturing, if you are capturing a 1 hour movie, it only takes the same 1 hour to capture it. Editing that captured video takes alot of time as does the encoding to DVD format.

3. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

you are probably right...and i have heard it is easier to buy a dvr for 150 then go thru all the other mess.....i just feel if i have a burner allready, why buy another one....just have a lot of vhs tapes of my kids when they were young...wanna keep em....along with commercial that i have bought

4. bigroy

bigroy Guest

Grandpw, I have a problem with capture. I am capturing right to mpeg-2 using a ATI AIW 8500. I have used Ulead 6 and ATI MMC 7.7 and still have a jumpy picture. Any suggestions?

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Make sure that you have the latest drivers for the ATI card. Also, defrag your hard drive, make sure you have no spyware or malware. Use Ad-Aware and/or Spybot to get rid of it.

Also, while capturing, make sure you do nothing else with your computer. Don't surf the net, play any games, or open other programs.

Some people shut down all unecessary background processes, too.

6. bigroy

bigroy Guest

I have tried to update the ATI MMC to the latest and it will not work right. I just checked and there are 50 processes running. which ones have to be there?

7. bigroy

bigroy Guest

GrandpaBW, what are you using for capture? And what software?

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Bigroy, I have the Hauppauge Win-TV PVR 350. I connect my VCR to it and capture. It only captures in MPEG2 format. I then edit using Roxio EMC7.

The capture software that I use, is WinTV 2000. It came with the capture card.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  9. stardust

stardust Regular member

GrandpaBW wrote:
    >Hauppauge Win-TV PVR 350. It only captures in MPEG2 format

Have you tried to capture .avi by VirtualDub with this card? If so, what it said?

10. bf2539

bf2539 Member

There is an item called ADS DVD EXPRESS saying it can do:
    Now you can capture video into MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 (VCD, SVCD or DVD) at up to 720 x 480 (720 x 576 PAL) from any analog or digital source. DVD XPress is the fastest and simplest way to get movies from video tape to a high quality VCD, SVCD or DVD disk. Capture video in the Easy to use Capture Wizard application or Ulead® DVD MovieFactory™ 3 and then “Create Disk” to burn your movies on to CD or DVD disk.

Could this work without buy internal cards