1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well i neever completed the cod4 SP, so i thought today i would, i started on vetran and am upto the ferris wheele. how the hell do you beat the choppers?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't remember the choppers themselves posing a problem, only the troops that poured out of them. Clever claymore placement takes out half of them. A good hiding place and being a good shot takes care of the rest.

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

OMG Shaf - you've been missing out! It is the bomb! And you can buy a package off Steam that has Half Life 2 and both episodes - for cheap! The graphics are ground-breaking. Check it out!! Won countless awards, and was game of the year. I think it came out in 2003, and some of the press said it kicked Far Cry's a** and that wasn't easy! This last episode 2 came out about 6 months ago.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think it's actually approaching 9... :O How time flies...
    But yeah, thoroughly enjoyable, comparatively undemanding (2560x1600 Absolute max with 4xAA bags an average of 30-35fps) but beautiful games. The original game is still pretty, but half as demanding again (c. 70fps average maxed out).
    Oh and Rich? I'm here... :S

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/841/hl2e2autogunzu7.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

No Shaff - I respectfully disagree with Sam. Some clever claymore helps - but they keep on coming. The right spot to be in is what works. I'll tell you where. Go over to the bumper cars. Place yourself behind the ticket case up on the bumper car floor. There will be countless grenades thrown, but you will be safe. If you lie down you will be ignored. Once in a blue moon a soldier will come onto the bumper car platform and you'll have to kill him. Set your claymores on the steps because that's where the dogs will come - although maybe in front of the steps because I think the dogs run too fast to be affected by the explosion. I worked on that map for an hour or maybe more before I finally passed it - after discovering this spot. Then I went back on hardest setting and passed it without that much trouble - again in this one spot.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm fair enough, I didn't play it on a particularly high difficulty setting. You certainly can't just go running around, I know that much. Oh, and Rich. See my above post - help plz? :p

7. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I had to add this about Half Life Episode 2:

I went back over to the gaming computer just now on the other side of my little office. It was sitting there, in Episode 2, right where I left it when I screenshotted that scene above. I put on the headphones, and not only, like Shaf says, is the scene itself, BLOODY FANTASTIC, but the sounds! The sounds are exquisite - birds singing, water gently flowing and bubbling below. Valve puts you right there, in the moment, as realistically as they can! BLOODY FANTASTIC IS RIGHT!

(By the way, I use high-end 5.1 headphones with special amp. They say Speed Link - but I remember buying them under some other name - made in Germany, and I think imported from the UK - seem to be really good - supposed to actually have 5 or maybe 6 tiny speakers in each earpiece!)

See you guys,
    Rich

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

SpeedLink Medusa.... almost everyone at my LAN Party has them, or should I say have them. Most of them have broken, lol.
    I'll stick with my Sennheiser stereo set thanks. I have my 500W speakers for surround sound if I want it.

9. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Oh Sam, autoguns. Got you. Yeah, those things will nail you. Ok you have to work around to the side of the building, climb up, grenade the soldiers inside, drop down, destroy the autoguns, then drop a grenade in their little control box to the left of them, which blows a hole in the wall and lets you walk out and join Alyx and get back in the car.

From the picture you posted, climb through the van, stay low crouching the entire time, climb through the back of a car, kill a few headcrabs and zombies and combine solders, then crouch past a whole line of cars, then climb that truck I talked about with the box full of grenades, and - you're there! Grendade everybody and drop in and take care of the autoguns.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I remember that, I stumble at the first hurdle. Getting round and out of its sight. I made it through the penultimate building with the guards, and as you see I'm at the bit with the white vans, following that path leads me to an open area however, and *bang* *bang* *beeeeeeeep* - red screen...

11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, Medusa, that's the name I was trying to think of. I bought three of them, gave one away to a kid along with my earlier 2.0gig P4 with 9800 card system, and I still have two. It's nice to have two, because the custom amp has two plugs, so you can sit there gaming and somebody can watch and listen.

Wow, mine haven't broken, but I did have a power converter burn up - that's no big deal I can get another one at radio shack. What part breaks, the little amp?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Usually yes. Though to be honest, most of the people I know that have them turn them up way too far, so it's to be expected I suppose.

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I'm still at the scene from the screen shot. Just for the fun of it I shot the magnum at the stream, and then zoomed to watch. The water steams up white like you would expect. MAGNIFICENT! Shaff you've got to play this series. They'll have another episode, number 3 in about 18 months, I would imagine, and you'll be ready for it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Well I don't know. I might be in that group that turns them up too far. The other day I thought to myself - "If you lose your hearing Rich, that will definitely put a damper on future enjoyment." So I turned them down a bit. Lol

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam you didn't post a screen about the area with the white vans - I recall getting killed there too, can't remember why. I assume you're past that point or taking a break, or doing something else. If you encounter any more stumbling blocks, post a screen and I'll see if I remember, or even if I can backtrack to that section. I'll come back to the forum in about 10 minutes - having some late lunch now - it's 2:30 here.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

cheers guys, ill try the dogems. i was always on top of the ferris wheel, but the dogs and nades one those tangos land from the chopper kill me.

from day 1 i did a couple of levels, was intrested, but decided to try out the MP and i got hooked. but now im better at cod4, running a good clan, got a server going etc, im getting bored of it online, so i tried out the SP. the story line is amazing, nothing like COD2, where i just wanted to finish it, becuase the story wasnt so interesting. i love how it centres around particular players and loving the back in time and the stealth of PRICE. i think he has the best level (the sniper) so far, or maybe its on par with when ur in the airship gunner, where its black and white. that was amazing.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Nuke is hilarious, and yet simultaneously awesome... I won't say any more for spoilers, in case you haven't done it yet.

The airgunner mission was also superb. The whole game is really. First class, can't wait for COD5.

19. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Oh, you did post, Sam. That was the white van shot. When you said cleared them out of the building, I was thinking of the building where the laser guns were, but you were talking just before that - just before your posted screenshot - sorry. I get it.

I went back and played that black and white air-ship episode in COD4 several times. Unbelievable! You can choose from three different cannons. The spotter was saying to me: "We've got a runner. You gonna get him? By the building. You got em. I see the pieces. Hold your fire - you're too close to the friendlies." Does anybody know - is that the plane they call the warthog - which we used (NATO) extensively in the aerial bombing campaign in Kosovo? I know it's not a helicopter. Still it seems to fly pretty slow. What was the name of the plane - C5 or something? Tell me and then I'll google it.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I thought it was meant to be a hercules, maybe I was a bit presumptive.