1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The NZXT Khaos is plenty roomy enough, but it's kitted out for good cooling, not for good space. It is still very much a gamers oriented case, but one for the rich kids only! :)

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ok, well my original plan for the PC-P80 was to have a 320 Rad in front, a 240 on the floor (blowing air out) and another 240 on the outside behind the 120mm fan...

However, with the Khaos there are drive racks and PSU bays that prevent a radiator from being mounted on the floor, and not enough room for a 320 to stand upright inside...

PCP80
    [​IMG]

Khaos
    [​IMG]

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why would you need three rads? I'm sure a good 320 could cope on its own.
    You sure one can't stack vertically in the Khaos? There are three 120mm fans stacked up in there, so that's 360mm at least, and to be honest, three fans vertically stacked inside the case look suspiciously like they intended you to put a 3x120mm rad in there..

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I already have my 220 from my current build, I am getting another 220 and 360 for free.

Still think I'll stick with the PC-P80... I'll take your advice into account though.

5. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Shaff - wow! Mo's Computer Kingdom - that looks hot! That's a good computer pic also for the flier idea! My buddy Mo over here calls his place PC Trade. He sometimes buys lower end systems - but he really makes sure he pays BOTTOM dollar for them. Then he wipes the hard drive, puts the operating system back, tests everything, and resells to try to make a couple hundred - he might pay $25 or $50. That's the "trade" part of the name. So your full name is Mo Shaffaaf? Mo for Mohammed? I think the ad is great - both ads.

Sam, so the Khoas is your next case? Does it come with two porters to carry it to the LAN parties! That is a BIG case!! Are we ever going to need 8 hard drives?? Well, as games keep getting bigger . . . .

Ray, nice comparison shot. You're planning on two PSUs, right? The three radiator idea sounds cool, pardon the pun. Which rad cools what part of your system?

By the way, any more leaks? (Did your gfx card ultimately survive that one leak you had?)

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hell no, I'm not rich enough to spend £250 on a case! lol I'm sticking with my Lexas thanks very much, with their carry handles...
    The Tempest can carry 8 drives and is much smaller, but I'm merely recommending it, not considering one myself.

You might be interested to know, I'm going to upgrade someone's PC this week, from a 1.7Ghz Celeron Northwood to E2180, replacing the CPU, PSU, Mobo and RAM, charging £170 for it, makes me a tidy profit...

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey Rich, let's play FEAR. We have to wait for Sam to Finish downloading it.

Do you have FEAR? If not go download FEAR Combat. It's the multilayer part and it's free. Just search on google for FEAR combat.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't forget I'm downloading at the speed of 4 meg broadband (Yeah I have 5, but I'm downloading from FileFront), so unless he has zippy quick broadband he won't have it before me... Still, you're more than welcome to join in if you like, it's free!

9. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Ok Boozer, I don't mind. I missed my Wednesday gaming day this week. I'll look for FEAR combat. I played the demo a year or two ago, to see what all the hype was about. I walked down the corridor, encountered some weird thing - a girl?? - went into a room and guys started coming out from a door up some stairs to the right. But graphically I thought the setting was kind of depressing, all industrial, basement-style, squarish blocky chunky textures - was I just not getting it? I have read rave reviews!! Anyway, ok, when I get around to it, about the time Sam downloads it, I'll have it by then too. LOL

Well there you go Sam, you're already a repair/upgrade dude, making your "tidy profit." Nice! Feel's good right? But take it to the next level like Shaff - get your advertising out there. Mo's Computer Kingdom - face it, you guys are envious - that rocks!!

Let's see: "Sammy's House of Silicon" . . . "Sam Says - Computer Repairs!" . . . "Sam the Man - Everything PC" . . . you got any ideas boozer? :D

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're dead on with the graphics, it's all in the quality settings for FEAR, the game looks like Doom 2 with basic detail settings, but turn it up so you get all the pretty dynamic lighting and shadows and despite the drab environment, it looks gorgeous - and bloody scary!

You're quite right about us being envious, we want the money to pay for our own PCs!

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I actually had a business idea a little while back, company name, product line up, the whole shebang. I just need the effort, bother and luck to put it into practice successfully.

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey abuzar. Your sanford computing looks ok - the language certainly has strong hooks - "We don't try to sell you BULLSH*T" - grabbed my attention really fast. Mo (shaff) has you beat graphically, though, imo, because he's got a hot computer picture - just go to his ad again and steal his graphic, he won't mind. Lol.

Regarding FEAR, I got my mp code, answered all the little questions, and I'm in line at file planet (which in the past had the wayyyy fastest download speeds) with 14 minutes remaining! Thanks!!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14 mins before you even begin? Ouch...
    I prefer filefront, it may not be quite as speedy in transit, but the long wait times at fileplanet mean that unless you're downloading 10GB plus, FF is quicker overall.

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sure, Sam, just rain on my parade some more!! Well, it's coming down, says 24 mins. left. Did your download finish??

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9 minutes left. I had my torrents seeding which was screwing with the download more than usual, so just turned them off. Making a solid 555KB/s now.

17. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, well I'm coming down at a HOT 1MEG!! Eat Your Heart Out! :p

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My game's already installing... :p

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Done yet?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

See msn...:p