1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Did you get it?

Plus before you join go to client settings and change your name from Player to Rich or harvdguy or wehatever, so we know who you are.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

It was a hacker. We are restarting the server.

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, I was Rich. We had a fight in the courtyard with you, then Sam. By why am I flaming all the time - am I being naded??

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It was a cheater. Server now restarted with proper rules so we can get rid of people like that without having to shut the server down - wasn't your fault mate! Come join in again, which player name are you?

5. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

My player name is Rich. How about putting a key on the server? Anyway, I'm on the phone with a stubborn client. I'll be over there in 5-10 minutes hopefully.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok sure, see you on there shortly. I've got admin commands now, so I can boot a player for unsporting behaviour at my discretion now.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Be quick!

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

verrry stubborn client

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

That was fun.

10. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

All right, that was wayyy cool.

If your gun has grenade launcher, how do you get alternate mode? Can you carry more than one gun? I guess so. I finally got all my controls sort of where I am used to them.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good game. Had a good match after Abuzar left, but 2:10am, time for bed now. Will be happy to do the same tomorrow night if you're interested, and less caught up with clients... :)

Rich: were you in that game? What player name? Haha

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  12. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hey, I am not going to go the duel PSU way (although I would consider it if the PC-P80 had two bays like the Khaos). That would save me from having to buy another PSU - I would use my old Antec 500 for the graphics or something like that and my current Kingwin for the rest. However, I wish that the Antec had a detachable motherboard power cable, I would have to hide that somewhere now.

As for the leaks - everything has been holding up surprisingly well! Those metal Bitspower barbs I am using now have done real well. I'm thinking about getting some more to replace the other plastic ones I have.

13. DInc

DInc Regular member

Oh, I think I remember where I saw the name.
    Probably on a sticker on one of the BIOS-chips or something.

Buuut, what do I do then, I never handled any jumpers...

Or wait, maybe you know the answer to my bigger issue:

Since yesterday this computer just started freezing randomly.
    Either at the login-screen, sometimes while booting, but mostly while being on the desktop for minutes or even seconds.

I've tried Safe Mode, which helps a bit, I can go on a lot longer before it perhaps ever freezes.
    It usually happens when running multiple things I guess.
    I've tried VGA Mode, which also doesn't help much.
    Other thing's I've tried is using single different RAM-modules, different GPU, all didn't help so I guess it's not those parts.
    Now, I guess hardware-wise, all I can try is a different CPU, maybe it got used up or whatever.

Also multiple good scanners, like Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, things like that, but also Registry-stuff, defragmenting...
    Except during boottime it just freezes again because of working.

I have a feeling it's either the processor having some bad spot or there is something in the system-software that has a bad file.
    And once it touches it, it freezes, that's what it seems like.

Sooo, anyone have a clue what this is?
    I can currently do nothing with this thing, but with luck only use the internet, luckily backup files (at least I hope there isn't a negative side in Safe Mode), for the rest about nothing...

Actually, I forgot to mention:
    I didn't change anything major about the system or installed anything big.
    Just one or two simple programs which I already uninstalled.
    And also System Restores do not help.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Well, Dinc. From watching my buddy Mo, here's my 2 cents:

0. Maybe it's not hardware, maybe it's software.

1. I assume you have an anti-virus program and you have scanned the whole disk. You can do that in safe mode.

2. Also what does device manager show - any asteriks? If so get those cleaned up. (any missing drivers?) Again you can do in safe mode.

3. Ultimately you may have one or more system files that have gotten corrupted, lord knows how, but it happens. It doesn't happen very often with XP, because XP has a utility always resident in memory - hiding behind you. If you delete a system file, presto in a second it will be right there again! I've tried it! Anyway, you can re-install XP right over the top of the old one. That won't hurt anything, and you won't have to re-install your program files. When you start to install XP, it gives you some options: after it sees that there is already a copy of XP installed, it asks if you want to Repair the current installation. That's the option you want. It takes just as long as installing XP from scratch. I recently fixed somebody's computer doing that. Prior to doing that it was extremely buggy - just acted really weird. Didn't crash like yours though. He did have an anti-virus program and had already scanned everything - he did it periodically like once a week or so, so we knew it wasn't a virus. Anyway, after the Repair, no more problems.

4. I don't know if that method completely fixes problems in the Registry - probably not, because you don't have to re-install programs, so I guess the Registry is not touched. If ultimately it is a Registry problem, I guess you'd have to wipe your drive and reinstall XP. If it is not a Registry problem, the Repair will ensure that all your main system files are intact and working as when XP was first installed, and if it's not a Registry problem you'll be good. Probably. I know you suspect hardware - well that's a different story. Doesn't hurt to do it and see if that fixes your problem. Mo likes to just wipe the hard drive by re-partitioning, and re-install the operating system. But then, all those programs have to be re-installed. A big pain. Try the Repair option first.

If it's hardware, that's Sam's department. Software too.

Sam, have I said anything wayyyy wrong yet? Or is all of it wayyy wrong. Hey Shaff, what would Mo's Computer Kingdom add to that?

FEAR - Yes, by the way, I was there for a short bit, user name Rich. I killed you and boozer in the courtyard of asylum before the hacker started flaming me like crazy. A couple times you killed me. Then the client called. That went on for an agonizing 30 minutes. I also went back and played again.

It was fun to play you guys. Maybe I'll buy TF2 sometime and we can all jump on Abuzar's official AD TF2 server.

Ray, you're definitely the water king. So you are now using some more reliable metal clips? - I'll keep that in mind if I go water-cooling on the new build. The leak never did any permanent damage then - good for you!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, you're on the right lines Rich, but if it gets to freezing before windows even loads, but doesn't always freeze before windows has loaded I'm tempted to think it's a hardware issue, software faults aren't usually inconsistent with inside and outside the OS.
    It's far less likely to be CPU fault than the motherboard or PSU really, you've already checked the RAM and GPU so not those.

Rich, the game was much more exciting later on without that idiot coming along - if you've not played FEAR before, what he was doing was hacking the game to use the weapon files for the supernatural being in the single player game (usually represented by the young girl in the red dress) - the attack animation is flames, and you die instantly - well it's not normally you, but several other unfortunate souls... By extracting this information somehow, he was able to cheat that part of the game as his weapon. The biggest problem with PC games is how easy they are to cheat like this, which is a pain. After I restarted the server though, we had a good hour of legitimate fun - hope you can join in for longer next time...

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah it was fun.

I owned with that ASP rifle.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha

lets play now!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

By all means, I'll start the server again. I don't know how long I'll have to play though before I get collared into some household chores...

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hold on, let me start up my other computer.