1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Server running.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sorry I got caught up watching the Olympics. I'm on now.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes first name mohammad, middle shaffaaf :D

no one has answered the adds yet :(

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed I spotted that - disappointed by craigslist, more than 50 posts on there from today alone in London, only three in the last six weeks from essex...

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ok new question:

I am reconsidering the NZXT Khaos but a thought came over me regarding the duel PSU's. If I were to use my old Antec 500 for the video cards alone, how would I independently power that PSU on? I don't want to do the paper clip thing every time and I don't want to install another switch, is there anyway I can just keep the PSU on and ready to go, or connect it with the same switch for the rest of the system so it will turn on and turn off with the rest of the computer?

6. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Ray, I was thinking the same thing in regard to dual PSUs, but more in line with shutting off the system - XP powers off the power supply - but which one? - the one connected to the mobo. But I always turn off a power strip anyway - one power strip per computer, so no big deal. Normally you plug a computer power cord right into the back of the PSU, right? So would you have a two-power cord computer. That would be okay if you had both of them plugged into the power strip for that computer, which is how I do it - one strip per computer. Yeah I guess that's what you would do. Is your question, how to wire both PSUs to just one computer cord?

Hey Mo Shaffaaf - so you go by your middle name, at least here on the forum. Let me tell you, even though you didn't get any calls on your ad on Craig's list - that is a nice ad you put together. You can transfer that - the whole thing - in color, right to a flier.

If you want to get more response off of Craig's list - I would say you need some kind of hook. Some eye-catcher. Your ad is good - so when you go through those kinds of ads, what grabs your attention?? What about some kind of Back to School Sale - what can you offer that Dell can't? "Let me work with you to engineer your next build - 10% build fee. Take advantage of my years of over-clocking experience. Save years of forum and anandtech study - Learn from me while together we design and build your Kick Ass Gaming Pro machine that will slay all your buddies and make you Big Man in Gaming Town!" "I will work with any budget - minimum $500!" "All parts shipped directly to you!"

Try a few angles - see what starts making the phone ring. Give it a try for a while - even if the big profits don't come right away - after you get some experience you will come up with more profitable ideas.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I believe there are adapters you can by styled in the same way as ATX connectors - but single pin bridge connectors, so to speak that connect the two PSUs in a safe manner. If that link is present, both PSUs will not only start up together, but also shut down together.

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Ah hah, a special adapter to tie the two PSUs together so dual PSUs act as one, turn on, and turn off together. That would be slick!

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well... This thread is pretty redundant now. Still no camera, so here are some google pics for you.

This is what my Ruger looks like. Except that I have a 200 dollar Nikon scope on it ;)
    [​IMG]

And this is what my SKS looks like.
    [​IMG]

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Should be getting my HD4870 tomorrow, so I might post some results then, but I'm out all day, so it may have to wait until late at night (after 6pm in the US, or 11pm in the UK), but rest assured, you will have some results... hehe

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Sam, did you get the Vision Tek?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, I got the engineering sample Built by ATI card that Driverheaven used for their reviews, specifically. I got it for the same price as an HD4850.

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam, you are a clever rascal indeed - do you know somebody over there at Driverheaven, or did you just send them a note - "I want your 4870 when you guys finish testing it!!" Is it coming by post, or are you driving over there?

Boozer, those are some awesome rifles. Are you sure you're not related to Wild Bill Hickock? What happened to the RAZR you were supposed to shoot with? (And btw, if you don't do it soon, I'm going to figure out how to make a sig, and put greensman's H-bomb pic in it.) Lol

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I signed up on the forums a couple of days ago to ask questions about the 4870 and the member who spoke to me was Zardon, turns out he's the guy that tested them, and one of the site admins, he wrote their forums apart from other things and seems pretty high up in the chains by all accounts.
    I randomly patrolled ebay for a 4870 and found one, then spotted another with a week or so left from the username zardondriverheavennet - recognised it and sent him a message. He said he'd gladly sell the card to me as I was a forum member, named his price there and then and explained the money was going to Barnardo's - I'd have been a fool not to take the offer!

He sent it by DHL from the office in Northern Ireland, should be here tomorrow (hopefully) or friday.

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I rest my case, you are one clever rascal!! Has it arrived?

Whoops - should have checked the other thread:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yup, that and I'm now playing FEAR at triple my old frame rate, and even maxing crysis with pretty respectable rates, it's superb. See my blog for more specifics.

17. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Nice review Sam! Congrats!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, thanks. :)
    This generation really has transformed PC graphics. No longer is there any game with any setting that's an impossibility. If you have the money you can run anything out there however you like. Of course, the cost to do this at 2560x1600 is obscene, but it can nonetheless be done. To my knowledge that's not been the case for a very long time.

19. DInc

DInc Regular member

At least the fine settings can be done for not TOO much money.
    But however you will still need to invest good money into it.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To get mostly high detail in most games at 2560x1600 or max everything at 1920x1200, a dual core and HD4870 will suffice, that's less than £250 between the CPU and GPU. To max anything at 2560x1600 though, you need two HD4870X2s and an overclocked Quad core, so you're looking at a minimum of £850 between the GPUs, CPU and CPU Cooler.