1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. DInc

DInc Regular member

Well, I suspect the wires of the fans or whatever having been between the card and cooler so the cooler wouldn't be flat onto the card.
    Obviously not making enough contact and not cooling sufficiently.

And I know if the original rubber washers would be thicker it would be tighter.
    So that's why you only need 1 or 2 cardboard washers on top of the rubber ones.
    That's all I needed to do plus the tape in the middle as the original tape-mod.

But I'm getting rid of this weird card, it's doing more weird things than only having low performance, it's just not right.
    If the XFX also has low performance, it's probably the rest of my syste mand I'll forget about it.
    Maybe I'll switch to a PCIe-Motherboard, but still the rest of the system might not help a higher-end card...

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think to be honest, Graphics cards as powerful as 7950s/X1950s are best matched with Dual core PCI express systems.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well the cpu got only 900, so it was the gfx card that made the difference... It was overclocked too to 702/855 when I ran the test.

-----------------------

Btw, any of you guys know how I might be able to unlock the overclocking in my BIOS?

4. DInc

DInc Regular member

Maybe check the manual or webpage for your motherboard?

Or else some overclocking-software might override it, but I'm not familliar with CPU-overclocking.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which motherboard?

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which motherboard?

8. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Waymon, I looked at your motherboard manual. You were looking in the wrong section!! You need to go to 'Jumperfree Configuration' and you have all the overclocking options in there. There are two options: change AI overclock tuner to 5%, 10% etc or manual. If you choose manual you should have an extra set of options that pop up that allow you to keep the DRAM frequency at 400 and set the FSB independantly as I've mentioned before, or you could just set to 5% or 10%. You may need to overvolt too, as I say these options should come up when you set to manual.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, this thread's nearly at 330 posts, that's got to be a record for a 'problem - help please' thread!

On a topical note, go to Jumperfree and select manual. Then up the fsb a little and see if works. Repeat until it doesn't, then try upping the volts (only a little though, and I stress this)

10. WFIH

WFIH Guest

Help!....before i go completely bald from pulling my hair out.

I simply cannot get my Gecube X1950XT to work I get the dreaded blue screen just before you'd expect to see the windows symbol pop up. I've searched threads galore but can't seem to find this particular problem. Everyone else is moaning about how it will melt once i finally get it working!

It will boot in safe mode.

My system is:
    Motherboard: Gigagyte K8 Triton GA-K8NSC-939
    Processor: AMD 64 Dual Core 4200
    RAM: 4GB
    PSU 1200W
    System: VISTA

I'm assuming it's a driver issue as it boots in safe mode - but I can't seem to find any for VISTA.

Not sure the disk is working - it freezes on the ATI icon in safe mode - but I can't even get to that stage in normal mode and i've read it's rubbish anyway?

I'm no techie so only ever understand half of what's posted on these threads.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've run out of ideas. I'm just about to update the BIOS as a last resort - so if i don't return i've screwed that up too.

11. DInc

DInc Regular member

Hey Sam,

why, actually, do they create these high-end AGP-cards???
    I mean, the high specs probably have trouble with the much older "AGP-world".
    And remember I also found those XFX-card of 512MB.
    Well, I was about to order one of them, but I found I can't set the Aperture higher than 256MB in the BIOS.
    So, could I first of all change that to a higher amount of MB somehow or will the Motherboard just adapt itself?
    And second, the tech-guy on the phone of the store said there aren't many AGP-motherboards supporting 512MB.
    If not any...

Well, I can understand THAT, but why the heck would they create those cards?
    Just to trick people that don't see it might not fully work (like me) and to sell more?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately, that's pretty much exactly why they make them. PCI express or bust, my friend.

As for running the card in Vista, we already know it's an anomaly, there may not be a Vista driver for it. Try the Gecube website rather than the ATi site.

13. WFIH

WFIH Guest

The handbook claims it should be fine in VISTA

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah but given the problems people have had, who knows!

15. WFIH

WFIH Guest

I'm wondering whether it is because i have Nforce 3 onboard graphics on my motherboard. Gecube mentions it though it's not the same error that i have

http://www.gecube.com/support-faq-detail.php?id=65393

The motherboard handbook says it automatically disables if it detects an external card

I think it may have to go back.

Edit: and they direct you to the Nvidia site where they have lots of PDF files detailing all the driver issues - which won't open in Vista!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  16. WFIH

WFIH Guest

It turns out that if you want the X1950XT to run in Vista then it must be on a motherboard on Microsoft's Vista Hardware Compatibility List.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=19933

Mine isn't

Are they just slow in bringing out new drivers? I can't find any related to Vista on the Gigabyte site - or am i just screwed !?!?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If there's no vista driver, tough luck I'm afraid, this is why I don't use Vista.

18. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

DInc, your AGP aperture is an area of your system RAM that is used as extra video memory, not anything to do with the amount on the card. It is just an extra bit set aside from the rest of your RAM specifically for your video card to use, see this article for more info:
    http://www.tweak3d.net/joomla/features/hardware/agp-aperture-size-examined
    So you probably would be able to run a 512mb card fine.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, Interesting article, I always set mine at 256MB anyway!

20. WFIH

WFIH Guest

I've done the unthinkable and gone back to XP

Now works fine - I wish I'd known yesterday morning what I know now. Would not have wasted an entire weekend.

Company of heroes now plays smoothly with every single graphic option cranked up to the max. Before on those specs it refreshed about once every 3 seconds!