1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Hey Waymon, glad you got you o/c working! You should try 3dmark cpu score again and see what you get.
    With your o/c, you have selected the 10% option which does it all for you right? With this method I'm pretty sure that o/cs your RAM too. If you set that option to manual then you will have a whole lot of extra options come up which would allow you to experiment a bit more. You can set your RAM frequency back to 400 if you find that your RAM is the limiter, but you will most likely find that the vcore voltage will be holding you back. As Sam has mentioned before use the upmost caution when changing the vcore as overvolting then overheating will kill your chip, but if you are careful you will be able to squeeze a bit more.
    Firstly, you know that you can run 220mhz FSB on your stock voltage (because your 10% overclock works) so set your FSB manually to 220, then go up by 1mhz each time until it becomes unstable under load or won't boot. At this point you will have found your max FSB on stock voltage. If you then give it 1 voltage increment, +0.05v then that will let you achieve higher FSB speed. Again push it up 1 by 1 until it's unstable again then back off a bit and you've found it! I personally wouldn't give it any more than one voltage increment (whimp!) and I would monitor your temps carefully afterwards too - better safe than sorry!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually guys, that happens to me with Firefox too. I think it's because the graphics card is locked to the game and doesn't provide anything for the desktop, consequently it has to be CPU rendered, like before you have the drivers installed.

3. WFIH

WFIH Guest

I haven't had any overheating troubles - but it is all enclosed in an antec P190 case which has 7 fans including one the size of a dinner plate + the 2 fans on the AGP and 1 on the processor. I haven't even had to speed them up - they're all on the lowest setting

As for COH - I've no idea why mine is running so good. I haven't overclocked. I'm running an AMD Dual Core 64 4200 with 4gb of RAM.
    Having said that - i only played a quick 5 mins to check it out so it may cause problems when i cheat and suddenly have 50 mortar units.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol.
    You actually bought a P190? Wow. I'd like one, but I don't need the two pain in the ass power supplies at the bottom. You can buy them with windows from performance-pcs.

5. WFIH

WFIH Guest

Why are the power supplies a pain? I've had no problems - once i found the connector to link the two.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, because they make up half of the ludicrous cost of the case, and you can't ever use any other power supplies without paper-clip modding one of them.

7. WFIH

WFIH Guest

Well I was having power problems so needed to ugrade - and the decent PSUs were £200+ - so £250 including the absolute top notch soundproof case seemed like a bargain from my perspective.

I'm not anticipating needing more than 1200W any time soon so i'm not too concerned about changing them.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

9. WFIH

WFIH Guest

I already had 500w which was not enough. I'm also running 3200GB of hard disks

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That rather depends which 500W power supply you used. A lot of 500W power supplies can barely put out 200. With a little bit of modification, a friend of mine runs 12,000GB of hard drives off a 580W unit.

11. DInc

DInc Regular member

Ah, but I actually thought I didn't have the problem before this card.
    Because I have tabbed out of games to do other things or search info plenty of times before, and I think I would've noticed it then.
    But I'll check again when I take this card out, again, until maybe the XFX comes in.
    Maybe this week, if they can't make it, the next.

12. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Damn man! What does he need all of that for???

As for the BF2 thing, I will try that now... Do you mean multiplayer or singleplayer?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It may be something that only ATI cards do...

14. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2000 typically means 1Ghz but x2 with the DDR effect.

16. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Well my Freezer 7 and HR-03 arrived yesterday and got the fitted - what a difference! My cpu was idling around 48c with stock intel cooler, now its 49-50 under load o/c'd to 2.02ghz (with stock AC goo too)! The best bit is the HR-03 though. Full load temps at 710/760 are 56-57c core 39-40c on the PCB. With the peltier heap that was on there I was getting 75c+ core and 54-56c on the PCB, and that was at 675/702!! All that extra heat from the TEC was trying to kill my CPU too.
    HR-03 - I cannot sing it's praises enough!
    3Dmark is now 5581 and ATitool reckons there's 740 in the chip, and over 800 in the vram. I'm quite confident now that my E6320 will hit the 2.3ish the m/b FSB will allow (as I've got DDR2 667 with a 1066 chip it should really be all about the cpu & m/b)
    Best c£sh I've ever spent on cooling!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Isn't it awesome? If a year ago, somebody told me you could get away with cooling a 130W Graphics card with your case fans at 500rpm (that's half their minimum speed) and no fan on the graphics card either, I would have laughed in their face.
    The Freezer 7 Pro is also an excellent cooler, but on the strength of the HR-03, I'm tempted to try the Ultra 120, now they're dipping in price.

18. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

well, I tried O'cing my card up as much as it could go manually with ati tool, and I could get to 950, and then i would get artifacts and my computer locked up and crashed...

Still dont know how people get to 1500-2000mhz though...

As for the Hr-03, thats some pretty good cooling man! Do you have any fans on it or is it just a heatsink?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ahem, 950 in Atitool is the base frequency of the memory. That's actually 1900mhz.
    Damn, my card only goes up to 1746!

20. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

woah woah woah... Are you telling me I can get to 1900mhz??!!!

Thats awsome!!

I still dont get what you mean by "base frequency"