Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. kardson

kardson Member

wow...

x=y+3db.. -the cmf of the ratio...

err

well my thought? for now is that while the 120mm would give more airflow.. wouldn't it being 1/4 blocked be louder that the 80mm?

maybe in a day or so once im off these pain meds I can comprehend the last page of comments..

regarding the comment on loosing my newbie status. It's wild that it all happened off 1 post. Talk about taking me out of trolling mode.
    gg

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I can send you the sound file I sent kardson of me having blocking an 1100rpm 120mm fan. There really isn't much noise added. You generally get problems with blocking fans at high rpms. For example, whilst pushing no more air than the previously mentioned NZXT 120mm fan, a 70mm Delta from an xbox running at 12V (typically they run around 5V in the console) makes a hell of a lot more noise when blocked. I presume this is due to the pressure being created by the fans. A seven blade fan at 1000rpm has almost no pressure whatsoever, whereas an 11-blade fan at 2000rpm has tonnes of pressure.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

maybe I should change the title to "Gecube x1950xt and fan questions"

anyways, just finished my antec 900 project, temps (according to riva tuner and mbm5)

Current Core Temp: 33.38C
    Current Ambiant Temp: 28C

Old Case Temps: Core around 40-46C
    Ambiant around 38-42C

CPU temps: (overclocked P4 @ 3.55Ghz) 96F

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah the 900 is a very well cooled case, especially if you're willing to put up with the fans being turned up.

5. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

sammorris
    kardson
    waymon

Travis, (kardson) you're back! Yes, you lost your newbie status at about the same time that you lost all those teeth. I was factoring your new equation into everything
    but I got lost. First I thought you meant cfm, so I said, "well I'll just use Sam's figures a couple posts back" but then I noticed it was cmf - a chemotherapy regimen - hey do you have more goin on than the teeth? :=)

Raymond, you should be breaking free after 1:00 today (which it already is Connecticut time) so what do you think about the fan question (and Travis' new formula?)

Sam, thanks for the cfm figures.

The Scythe that I'll be trying out is 800 rpm - around 35 cfm from your figures (800 / 1080 x 47CFM) and then applying 1/3 blockage gives me only 23 cfm, hardly any more than the 80mm at 22CFM.

So the blockage loses the benefit of the bigger fan!

Hmmmm.

Sam, I understand what you mean about back pressure from speed of rotation - that makes sense. So I probably won't hear much roar.

........................[​IMG]
    But I am disappointed by what I am losing from the blockage. I believe I can recapture most of that blockage by my funnel idea a couple posts back, with at least 1/2" of pushoff. I'm going to go follow Travis' old link and see how thick those case fan gaskets are.

See you guys,
    Rich

6. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

So much for that idea. At 2.5mm each, they're 1/10 of an inch thick (and those are the thick ones - the others are only 1 mm thick!) so I would need 5 of them, at $7 each, $35 just for fan gaskets! Better to get the $30 newegg 1600 rpm, and overcome the blockage with more pressure (but maybe more noise as Sam points out.)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

CMF can also stand for "Cha Mone mother <ahem>" along with Content Management framework and Christian Medical fellowship. However, I think he means CFM.

Were you paying attention to all of my numbers? Using a blockage of a third on the Scythe fan gives you the same airflow as the 80mm, BUT!
    look at the speed difference. That Scythe is running at 800rpm, the 80mm at 1500. Thus you'd need a 3000rpm 80mm fan to match the amount of airflow a 1600rpm version could put through there. Consequently the 120mm is still putting out nearly the double the airflow of an 80mm of similar speed. I can tell you now the 1600rpm scythe will be quieter than any 3000rpm 80mm fan. The Slower Scythe measures 20dB and 32CFM at 850rpm on the same website as I got the other figures.

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Or maybe the best idea is - cut out the whole rectangle - and get a nice "bling" grill cover, ala Travis's idea a long while back.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Could do I suppose. Make sure you get the hole the right size!

10. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Right.

Of course, mate, I was following you. That's why I said with a 1600 rpm scythe, even with the blockage, then I'm twice the cfm of the 80mm. But that's $30 extra - oh I'll probably get it eventually - I'll have two 120mm holes in my case by the time I'm done, and only one fan so far.

In terms of getting rid of the blockage and squaring out the vent hole, it shouldn't be a problem, I just have to raise the height of the vent by 40mm. In fact, I don't have to cut it out, I can just drill out a bunch of small holes. Look at this nifty grill cover I just found from Travis' old link:
    ...[​IMG]
    That grill will hide any unsightly holes - and then I'll just add one case fan gasket for vibration suppression. Isn't that a beauty!
    rich

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Cha Mone, Cha Mone, chambonee!

Rap song, isn't it?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Thanks for the link,

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2636/fgc-02/120mm_Black_Fan_Grills.html

Yeah, I looked at those a time back. The price is right at $3, versus $13. However, If I try to go circular, I'm going to have unsightly little square vent holes coming out from the side of that grill, right? For $10 I'd be blowing my bling!

Travis would not be pleased. So I'll probably get the square, eh what?

Rich
    ....................[​IMG]

14. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

well yea, im free right now, I can play bf2, its 229 est here, so just giver me a server name and ill join it.

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

waymon3x6
    kardson

Raymond!

You're free now, but Travis is filled up with pain meds from losing 4 teeth. I think the dude is not up to it - maybe next weekend.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Square holes? From what?

17. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

oh ok then, I guess I play some Bf2 now then...

18. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam,

Well the square holes come from the existing case.

...................[​IMG]

I'm showing the inside of the side case cover, and of course the grill would go on the outside, but even without enlarging the rectangle, the circular grill will not cover all the holes.

............................[​IMG]
    That's the way I see it unless I'm missing something.
    Rich

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was under the impression you'd be removing the vent holes, otherwise why would you need the square one?

20. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

sammorris
    waymon

Raymond, have a good Bf2. Sam just emailed me some sound files that I will be listening to later this weekend. Why don't you send Travis (kardson) a private message so you guys can trade email addresses, like Sam and I just did, so you guys can link up on the same server when you do the matchup, maybe next weekend.