1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Mine broke 10 times, I know what it's like. I still love it though :)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A nameless, Microsoft-branded box, there's no love there, cool as it is. Now my PCs on the other hand, now there's plenty to love about them....

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmm when it comes down to it, the people that I actually love are my family, friends, and good looking females! Of course the last part is actually lust, but we'll get to that later lol.

Electronics, well I like them and they are cool, but thats about it. I'm not like some weirdo, NAMING my computers(jk Sam lol).

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

pff, joke all you like, a large number of people I know do it, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, besides it means you don't end up having cruddy network names, like "mypc" or "sam".

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I don't know anybody else named Abuzar, so that's my network name!

6. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam, since Abuzar implies that you LOVE your computer, like he LOVES his family, I would be interested in knowing what name you gave your true love --- lol.

I have three computers - I sell houses and I used to have two assistants: Sony, Arcus, and Richdesk.

The Sony was from the monitor, the Arcus was from an old monitor - (now it's a sony monitor with an Arcus pasted on it) and the Richdesk is a sony monitor - I just know it's my normal daily computer (not my best gaming machine - the one that I LOVE, and just added all those fans to. I love it because it allows me to play those wicked video games, like that great video that Ray just posted! :)
    -Rich

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely, so what's wrong with that? I paid for them, I built them, I look after them.

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Guys, I need your help.

Since my real estate company closed, I had to move my whole office to my house. The company I joined doesn't have an office for me until next year. Anyway, I have one PC in my camping trailer along with 4 printers. They are all on a wired network in the trailer. I need to add a wireless access point so I can talk to my other computers in a different room of the house. One of those has a $30 usb wireless card (zoom) that is working flawlessly.

For a wireless access point, I just bought a cheap $30 Trendnet TEW-430APB. It should have worked.

It accepts a cat5 ethernet input, and has an antenna. It isn't a router. It is supposed to be able to connect to a wireless router.

It does see the wireless router. But it won't go and get an ip address for the pc that is in the trailer, so I guess it is defective. It looks like it's sending only, not receiving. On wireless statistics, which I access through my browser, it shows over 700 frames sent, but 0 received. It was refurbished by tiger direct, but for $10 extra I could have bought it new on newegg - duhhh!

But I think I want a better one that at least tells you the signal strength.

Who knows anything about wireless access points?
    Second thought, will a wireless router (with at least one ethernect connection - which my roommate has) connect to another wireless router and thereby act as a wireless access point?

-thanks, rich

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry I'm afraid I can't help you there Rich, but just as a suggestion, you may get more help if you made your own thread on this, it's not really on-topic posted here...

10. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Just teasing, Sam. Like Abuzar. I feel the same as you do. I love my computer too. And now that you guys have clued me into ventilation, etc., it's become my techie "science project."

11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Anyways, what'd you name her?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Who me? See my profile, my first blog post, back in September.

13. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Ok, I hear you Sam, but I figured since you guys are so savvy, you might be network pros as well - thought I'd try.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately not, most of my network knowledge or success comes from my friends.

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

ALEXANDRA !!??

That is a very classic name!

Hey, btw, is that Alyx's full name - the one from half life 2? You know, the one that Gordon Freeman has a crush on.
    Is Alex, or Alyx short for Alexandra?

I believe that name comes from Greece. There was or is a city named Alexandria. Are you a fan of the Greeks?, or maybe you know a nice lady or a relative with that name.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, to your question. However, look at what case I use. What's that name short for? Can you guess the inspiration?

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah all I know about networking is that I have a wired cored plugging everything in, and that I have a wireless router so my friends can use their laptops when they come over. I don't even have it secured, so I can claim my neighbors were leeching off my network, and that THEY were downloading the movies.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just wait until they hack your router so you can't access it but they can...

19. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

this is totally unrelated to naming pcs, but by playing a game at 800x600, what is the difference between that resolution and 1200x1600? Do you see more on the screen with a larger resolution? I am fine with 800x600, I just dont see what the difference is between that and higher resolutions, besides the fact that you have to sacrifice so many fps to play at higher resolutions.

So whats the advantage?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it looks ridiculously better. You don't see more, but personally I think 800x600 looks terrible, really blocky.