1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's funny, I didn't, but another aD member I've been in PM contact with has just broken his trying to fix a problem with the pushpins not fitting. What's happening to them all of a sudden?
    Your overall "CPU" Temp is safe up to about 54C.

2. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Cheap fab. Surely any decent QC should pick this up!? Never had any problems with the other 3 AC coolers I've had. The metal retainer just needs to be bent back up a bit and that sorts it, but you really shouldn't have to apply brute force to a product to make it fit properly. It's a good job my old m/b couldn't run a high fsb otherwise I could have killed the chip - I wonder if AC would replace my C2D if I'd cooked it? Probably not, poor show on these Freezer 7s AC.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So far my experience with them has been excellent. You need to accept that shit happens, sometimes you just gotta RMA.

4. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey guys,

Glad the thread is still running. I'm about 20 pages behind but I had to pop in (I'm still trying to get my real estate business re-started at my new company.) I caught just a bit of Sam's "Crysis looks rubbish" post a little bit back - that's interesting!

And I see some of you guys are now over 11,000 3d mark scores - I'll update the table in a few months when I've sold a house, if this thread is still going.

A guy named Mark just sent me to this review of the 3870 - this links to the page with the Crysis screenshots, and I was shocked to see that nothing will run Crysis at the resolution that Sam likes (2560 x 1600) in high quality mode, above 9 fps - not even the 8800 ultra (very high quality everybody is at 4fps!) Since one day I'm going to get that Dell LCD (damn you Sam!) then the idea of a rig with a crossfire mobo running up to four 3870s, the way the reviewer describes the possibilities, begins to sound appealing if that would be the only way to get to 30 fps on the damn game!

see you guys,
    Rich

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well when Crossfire does work it tends to scale better than SLI. From what Sam says, Xfire doesn't work most of the time though.

I'm not much into it right now so I'm content to take his word for it.

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

(sorry for the long quote)

Ok, I tried accessing the Z: part of the drive, but it doesnt see it, like it isn't there. Also abuzar, I didn't use that tool in that link to create my bootable dvd, maybe that's the problem? I am running low on them now, as I have about 9 that are useless from screwing up the burning process to ones that wont write.

But anyways, when I get into the CMD prompt, I can access the C: drive, so I put the files in the root of C:, and that almost worked. I can see all of the files, but the problem is when I type the conmmand it comes up with an error... I guess I will have to fine my USB key which is somewhere around here and hopefully that will work. I also have a iPod, but dont really wont to erase everything on it put less than 3mb worth of files. Oh well.

EDIT: Here's my highest 3dmark06 score so far. I really want the BIOS unlock so I can blow past 21k hopefully, then I will be satisfied. Btw, does the BIOS also unlock the memory speeds as well? I can only go to 1331 until 3dmark06 crashes (could be a vista bug).

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4689751

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Welcome back Rich, how's it going?
    If you're going to get a 30" screen, don't get the 3007, get the new 3008WFP! Inputs ahoy on that thing!
    I for one have no interest in getting upgrades just to run Crysis. Even if I had ten grand to blow on PC parts, I wouldn't do it for Crysis - It would only be just for the satisfaction of running everything out there on max. All told, I have no real interest in getting Crysis to look good, because IMO, it doesn't look good, not even on the high setting. Frame rates aside, at 2560x1600 while some textures look awesome, others look complete pants, and there are very few scenes in the game where there isn't something that makes me go "that looks crap" and detract from the whole experience. It's difficult to be involved in a game if occasionally something glaringly not real pops up in the middle of your crisp graphics.

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well sam, I found some custom configs out there that make it look awsome... This is the one I am currently using: http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=13790

It makes the game look like the E3 demos!! I am so glad they have a config out there that allows ultra high settings in crysis now...

Here's some screens:

http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/38290/2005209884650846768_rs.jpg

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/38274/2005291954324079113_rs.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sampless1hr4.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sampless2yp3.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sampless4eb3.jpg

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sampless5sj1.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sampless6je7.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sampless7tp0.jpg

No surely you cannot say that Crysis doesn't look good with that config. Now that I look back on Crysis's default Very High settings and this tweak, I have to agree sam, Crysis definitely doesn't look that good.

However, with this config and everything on Very High @ 1280x1024, I am averaging around 25+ fps.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

turn those embedded pics into links, they don't even all fit on my screen, let alone anyone else's!
    I'm still not hugely impressed with the game's graphics, but that setting does look a lot better than the standard high setting, mainly because it corrects the awful shadows. Can you provide a screenie of a guy's head with a shadow on the wall? That seems to be the acid test for Crysis.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey I can manage to play Crysis on high. Is there a custom setting for that? How much does it effect the framerate.

11. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Crysis is all graphics, no gameplay. Crytek just focused on the graphics too much and it doesnt look like they payed too much attention to some parts of the game. And the graphics arent even that top notch like Sam said. Just not my kind of game IMO, and I think that it would chew my PC up and spit it back out again anyway =[

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I bet it'll affect the frame rate bucketloads. If crossfire now works with Crysis in the patch, that's a dreadful frame rate to be getting at that resolution. It looks better, but still nowhere near justifiable for the frame rate, and still no AA I expect.

13. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Well I shall definitely be giving that exe a go tonight! I really don't see what your huge problem with Crysis is Sam? I think that looks incredible, even just in the high settings. I can't think of a game that looks better IMO. (I do have COD4 and would say that that is an equally stunning game too) I haven't really played Crysis yet so I shall start again with that mod me thinks! Thanks for the link!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the problem, COD4 looks equally stunning, and this is Crysis Ultra High. I can run COD4 on max at 1920x1200 4x8 with no major issues. 1280x1024 0x4 Crysis would be completely unplayable for me at these settings. I'll give them a go though and report how well the patch works for people who don't have insane graphics card(s).
    Crysis looks much improved here and there's nothing that leaps out at me saying "this looks ass" - but I'd still like a screenie of some indoor shadows of a head since that's where Crysis looks worst to me, and I'm still not convinced by the texture of the rocks on the left in the 5th screenshot.
    Since Waymon seems to have disappeared, hopefully a mod can tidy up his ridiculous post.

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Sorry for the huge images sam! Won't they fit on your 30" screen anyway?

Anyways, the new Crysis 1.1 patch has fixed many things, and the AI is ALOT harder now. I can't even play on delta or I wont make it passed the first level. There were more performance increases too.

Sam - I think the reason why Crysis performs worse than COD4 is because all of the object are destructible, and if you blow up a tower or whatever, there is a huge amount of physics that are happening; so when I had my P4, a simple grenade in a house would drop the frames under 10. In addition, there are so many shaders and polygons in the jungle, and when you mix that with DX10 (the biggest performance killer), then frames drop even more.

I mean, COD4 doesnt offer DX10 support, so you could run Crysis on just high settings (DX9 default) and get maybe 30-40fps, but then run it on very high and the frames drop tremendously.

Also, there are a bunch of threads in the tech section at incrysis.com of people that have made custom configs to optimize performance without making the game look unrealistic.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol as it happens they do, but only just - three of them ran in a line - plus there were several Megabytes of images there, people with slow internet wouldn't thank you for that/
    The performance isn't CPU-related, it seems strictly GPU related to me - it ties up with the resolution perfectly (so it's GPU) for me, so I think as long as you have a decent CPU like a Core 2, it doesn't really matter any more.

You shouldn't have to do that though, the game should look decent from the beginning!

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Answer my question damnit! lol

Do the hell do I do that on high? Also will it from lots of frames?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if it's anything like a lot of DX10 games, being Crysis your frame rate will probably halve.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

do I need DX10 to use the tweaked settings? I refuse to use vista.

20. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well there is a "hack" to enable the very high settings in XP. It involves editing the cvar files in the crysis directory, it is pretty simple.

Anyways, what was your question? Were you talking about the custom config? You just download it and extract it to the crysis directory (there are instructions in the link I provided), and I believe you have to have the settings set it high or very high - not sure on which one it is.