1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video card with hdmi but no sound.

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by algtz1, Jul 24, 2009.

1. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I recently purchased a new Yamaha Receiver because i wanted to connect my xbox, bluray, and htpc to the receiver via hdmi. The problem that I am having is with the htpc. when I connect the hdmi i am not getting any sound. I think that my pc is not capable of sending sound. before buying the new receiver, I was running hdmi to the tv and spdif to the receiever and it worked well but now that I am running hdmi to the receiver I cannot run spdif at the same time because the receive wont alow hdmi and a/v 1 running at the same time because the receiver assumes that the hdmi signal will run both the video and audio.
    So I guess the only solution is to buy a new video card that support video and audio through hdmi. Can anyone suggest a video card that will do this. **I have videos on my pc that are both DTS and ACS so the video card will need to be able to send those signals especially the DTS without downmixing. Can someone offer some suggestions?

2. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

Have you tried hooking the HDMI directly to the TV and the SPDIF to the receiver? Would the video and sound still be in sync like that?

Is there some connection on the video card for you to connect sound from your sound card to?

I am interested in the answers you get, because I have hopes of a similar setup as my next HTPC upgrade. Good luck.

3. ugc

ugc Regular member

double check the manual on your Yamaha Receiver. Most will let you select what video/audio matchups you want to use.

4. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

So I bought the Radeon ATI 4650 set it up and updated the drivers. It gave me sound but now screwed up my video. it wouldn't give me 1080i resolution on my big screen and when media center setup forced the 1080i it cut the refresh down to 30 instead of 60. It also did something to my codecs because i could no longer play my xvids and mkvs. I got upset and took it out and put in my old nvidia card which had no sound. I did a complete restore on the pc. updated all the nvidia drivers and realtek drivers, and codec packs. low and behold. The sound came out of my reciever, all my movies played, and I was leaping for joy. This took all weekend too accomplish but I couldn't he happier. PS mkvs with DTS Rocks, but blu rays with DTS-HD Master Audio freaking RULES!!!!!