1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video card

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by KJFOX, Apr 4, 2004.

1. KJFOX

KJFOX Member

I am presently own a Gateway Mutli Media center & installed a AVerMedia card.
    I recieved an e-mail from a Tech & he states that I must remove one of the cards.
    I am afraid if do I will srew up my computer.
    Would it help to hook up my TV to my computer even though I ahve one in system ?
    I am having audio & visial problems with my system now.
    Can you advise me?
    Do I need to install DVDXMaker?
    Would that help ?

2. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello KJFOX,

I would suggest that you check if they are both sharing same IRQ or with any other equipments and if they are not than they probably should not be having any hardware conflict issues, so you should be able to keep both of them.

What kind of visual and audio problems are you having?? If you are refering to out of synchronization, you might want to change the 'master streaming' setting in your TV Tuner software. Secondly, if you are on older Window OS, please check if you whether is DMA enabled in your Harddisk setting.

3. KJFOX

KJFOX Member

I don't understand ~ how do I do that?
    I don't know all that computer lingo.
    Where do i go & how to know if it's because of a conflick.
    I am having problems with burning dvd's & my dvd/cd player does not work at all.
    The other night we tryed to watch a movie threw the dvd burner & at first I just had a green screen.
    It works now but don't know if it happen again.
    This a brand new Gateway computer I have only had about a month now.
    Thank you
    Kathie

4. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello KJFOX,

If you are using WinXP go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, View (on top), Resources by type, IRQ and lookout for WinFast. The IRQ numbers are auto assign by Windows and try to swop their PCI slot position to change IRQ so that it is not sharing with Networking, Graphic Card, Sound Card and another TV Card. This method will be quite constrain when you have limited PCI slot on your motherboard. Since, you are having a new PC, I would suggest that you seek their technical support if you are really having a IRQ problem and see if they can do a manual assign of IRQ from System Bios for that particular equipment (this is pretty technical).

As for your DVD burner, try removing the TV tuners, drivers and TV softwares and re-install DVD burning software again to see if it works. Try DVD burner after every new installation to see what is causing your problem. Sorry, if the method sound troublesome but that is precisely how I usually narrow down my PC problems.

By the way, there is another possibility that your PC is having overheating and is quite normal when you are running too many equipments with not enough ventilation fans. I see most of the Branded PCs are having limited fans (lower cost) and worst of all is their PSUs (Power Supply Unit) has very limited watts to support too many equipments. Try research online and you will see many issues on lousy PSUs and the danger they are facing.