1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video card

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by dphi931, Dec 4, 2010.

1. dphi931

dphi931 Member

i want to add a video card with hdmi output on it cause i want to hook my cpu to my hd tv so my question is how do i tell if the card is compatible with my computer and do i need to add more ram please somebody help me

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. Vector330ix

Vector330ix Member

what kind of computer do you have? if its dell give us the model number and we will look it up. if you or your buddy built it we will need to know the make of the motherboard.

the video card has ram on it. thats how they are sold. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572 here is a good card from Nvida which will do what you want it to do. it has 1gig of ram which is good for hd video this one has HDMI on the video card.

but tell us your computer first so we can look up if this fits or which card would fit if this one doesn't

3. dphi931

dphi931 Member

4. dphi931

dphi931 Member

ok how do i find out what kind of motherboard i have because it was built by someone

5. dphi931

dphi931 Member

ok here the kind of motherboard i have Elite Group (ECS) GeForce6100PM-M2 (V2.0) Motherboard.

6. Vector330ix

Vector330ix Member

1) turn the system off
    2) unplug the power cord
    3) take of the side cover
    4) carefully look in side for markings on the motherboard (main circuit board)for text that says the name..

so purely at random i selected a motherboard picture from google

http://64-bit-computers.com/wp-content/gigabyte_conroe_motherboard.jpg

if you look at this picture you can see just above the memory slot there is a text lable that says
    "gigabyte" thats the manufaturer
    next line says the model number
    "GA-965p-006"

so in this case we would goto gigabyte.com click on support and enter that model number and then download the manual for that part. in the manual it will tell everything you want to know about the board, and what it supports.

its very rare we built systems for clients anymore, because they are so cheep to buy, but when we do we always put those in a self sticking clear pouch like you would use for a shipping manifest and stick it to the inside of the side cover so the customer always has that info. so you may be surprised when you open the cover.