1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video CDs - Please Help !

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by nashman, Jan 10, 2003.

1. nashman

nashman Member

Hi, I just started making VCDS using this useful site, and its not that bad. They have all worked on a Panasonic DVD-LV75 Palm DVD player, and none have worked on a DVD-S330 that I have. They both claim to play DVD and VCD. Also, I just had a DVA-5205 installed in my car. It is an Alpine DVD player, and it is supposed to play VCDs as well, however it does not. Is there a different way to encode them for different players? Shouldnt these 2 other systems play my VCDs? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

This could be a few things. maybe the players dont support cd-r or something or they done support VCD1.1 or VCD2.0. Nero creates vcd2.0, i dunno what creates 1.1.

3. nashman

nashman Member

Thanks, I will try burning with NERO instead of Roxio. Yes, I am also using cheap CD-Rs but they still work in the Panasonic so i figured they would work elsewhere. The book that came with my DVA-5205 car player says..."This DVD player is compatible with playback control (PBC) compatible video CDs (version 2.0). "PBC" is a function by which you can use the menu screens recorded on the disc to find the scene you want to watch and view various types of information in dialog style." Hope this helps. Im gonna try NERO now, but if you can think of any other possible solutions, Id appreciate it. thanks again.

4. nashman

nashman Member

Just a follow-up...i tried the NERO burning and it didnt change. It still reads a disc error. The cds are brand new, and the player is a day old. im pretty sure its the media...how can i be sure?

5. Dela

To check, buy one good cd-r and see if it works in wither of the players.

6. cJa

cJa Guest

stop me if im wrong but im sure vcdhelp.com had lists of dvds and tells you what capabilties they have?

cJa

7. Dela

yes it does. why?

8. cJa

cJa Guest

:) well mainly because nashman, does not seem to be sure what the capabilities of his `varying' dvd players and i thought he may find it useful...?

cJa

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Look for a "PBC" function on your remote for your home dvd player. if you see this function click enable, or on then try playing the VCD. Consider SVCD format as it is by far the best video quality from a dvd rip, other than dvd burner. I recommend you useVCDEasy to burn VCD over Nero as Nero has a history of playback problems of both SVCD& VCD. Be sure not to burn your converted files too fast as many dvd players have troubles reading burned cd-r's at high speeds. I found burning at 8x is the most reliable for me.

Shoey

10. Dela

the recommended speed for vcd/svcd is 4x and i never go over and get no problems!

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I've backed nearly 150 dvd's at bin& cue format burning at 8x and no playback at all.

Shoey

12. nashman

nashman Member

Hi, thanks for all of your contributions. I had previously gone to VCDHelp, but theyre not really specific... some say my Sony will play them, some dont....its just making me more confused....also, they didnt have my Alpine DVD player, probably cuz its for a car. I downloaded VCDEasy, but to be honest, I have no idea how to use it, or what an ISO file is, or even the difference between VCD and SVCD besides quality...are they different CDs altogether? I just wanna burn some mpegs and watch them in my car!! The sony remote didnt have a PBC button, by the way. Thanks again.

13. nashman

nashman Member

Bad News - I just called Alpine and they said that the DVA-5205 does not play ANY CD-R or RW discs. . .until someone can figure out either a hack on the player, or a certain encoding/media combo for it to work, i guess ill have to resort to old fashioned store-bought. if anyone could help figure this out it would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

14. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Go to the Alpine website and locate your drive and see if there is an firmware update. Use VCDEasy ONLY for MPEG1/2& bin& cue burning. Remember that this program is specifically designed to burn VCD& SVCD format. Hope this link might help.

http://forum.firmware-flash.com/portal.php

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2003