1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video compression help needed. (Not the normal kind)

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by anubis66, Nov 5, 2006.

1. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

ok. i have 10.4gb of videos that i want to compress in a zip like archive to make it atleast less than 9.4gb. i read WinRK 3.0.3 is the best archiving tool by compression percent, but it didnt include video in their testing. would it be good to use? is there a better, more video-specific archive tool that could solve my woes?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

try it and see if it works, just keep a copy of the original files in case..

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

also keep in mind that all the files you are compressing to a zip file are already compressed in whatever video codec they are in, so its not really going to be able to compress the files much smaller than they already are. and I can tell you that its going to take probably 10 or 15 hours to compress that much data into one zip file...is all that worth it just to save 1GB of space?

4. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i know they are compressed already, thats why i am looking for an algorithm that compresses compressed movies or data.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

that's the kicker, not sure if there's anything out there that compresses any better, as djscoop says, the stuff's already compressed

6. barto04

barto04 Member

if u know how to use dvd shrink u can use anyfile and then reauthor it and compress it to what ever u want and dvd shrink is free at cnet

7. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

but i dont want to compress the picture anymore. i want it to be uncompressable like a zip to be full sized again.

hmmm..why has no company done this? why hasnt someone made a video compressing algorithm that compresses and allows uncompression? i see some money to be made if i had the technology.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

As was noted vid files are already compressed.

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

why do you want to compress them more? you're not going to save much HD space...

10. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i know the video file itself is compressed, but why is there no zip-like compression system to store better quality movies in smaller allocation to uncompress when you want to watch? i cant find the latest version of the product i mentioned above.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well just try winRAR and set it to the highest compression rate, but be prepared for it to take at least a full day to compile all that data into one zip file

12. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

13. ARDILLA

ARDILLA Guest

also you can try VidLogo by geovid.com to compress files, it supports a lot of them.