1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Compression / Storing

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by jongi, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jongi

jongi Guest

I have recorded stuff onto my hard drive using WinFast PVR and these files are in DVD MPEG-2 format. They are approx 90min long and are 4-5GB in size. I would like to store these files on DVD-Rs. First prize would be compressing the files to a size closer to 1GB and then burning them to DVD-Rs. Would I need to convert them to MPEG-4 or the like?

If I use DVD authoring software to make the programs into a DVD, could I achieve this compression by using DVD Shrink?

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i can achieve an acceptable good quality of a 23 minute for 350MB, with 192 or 224kbps audio. that is ~1396MB for 90 minutes. and its fansubbed anime, downloaded. so the quality is not official dvd's.

if its a real people kind of movie, i would say 2GB, depending on the source. you can try 1GB. and compare which of it you can use.

if you want to encode to mpeg4, that depends on what you want to do with the video, if you are willing to playback from PC thats find. unless you have a standalone player...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Codec packs are evil[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2004