1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video editing on DVD files

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by xlhome, Nov 16, 2004.

1. xlhome

xlhome Member

Hi,

What I'm trying to do is to improve the video quality on DVD files.
    In more words, I would like to adjust contrast, brightness, and other properties of the video.
    The problem is that the source is NOT avi (captured for example from a digital camera) but is already in DVD format.
    I took the VOB files and demuxed video and audio, ending up with mpv video (or m2v, it’s the same thing).
    I tried to find a tool to edit mpv files which wouldn’t recompress them after processing them, but had no luck yet.
    The thing is that since mpv files are already compressed in DVD compatible format, they should only be edited, not recompressed.
    However, even applications like Premiere cannot edit directly mpv files.
    Does anyone knows a way to do that?

I would really appreciate any help,

Xenophon

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You can't make those kinds of changes without re-encoding. To make the changes, the video will need to be uncompressed (decoded) because in it's compressed form only every 12th frame is an entire picture. Once the changes are made it has to be encoded again. The easiest way to do this with minimal quality loss is to frameserve from AviSynth so the original VOB file can be used and just uncompressed on the fly as frames are requested. If you want to use it with Premiere I think you have to use a third party tool (never tried it myself). You can also use AviSynth to make the changes and then frameserve straight to an encoder like CCE or TMPGEnc.