1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Editing with ScreenBlast Movie Studio ..

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ssqwebmst, Sep 18, 2004.

1. ssqwebmst

ssqwebmst Member

I currently use ScreenBlast Movie Studio 3.0 ...

Have tried editing video that was ripped with Amigo DVD Ripper (http://www.amigodvdripper.com) and it works like a charm ....

However I have created the SVCD video using DVD2SVCD and I am having problems editing the video clips ... when I load the video up it shows the video and I get on good playback from it ...

If I try and play back again I get video overlapping and the audio and video are out of synch ...

Is there something fundamentally different in the ways that DVD2SVCD and Amigo create their MPG products???

I would much rather use DVD2SVCD if I can but I just need to get over this bump ... thanks so much!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You should be editing Before you encode to SVCD/Mpeg2 because Mpeg is not a Format that is meant to be edited and when you do try to edit it the Whole file has to be Re-encoded which Just Lowers the Quality and is a waste of Time...

You should first edit in ScreenBlast and then render your Project as a Low compression AVI format like HuffYUV and then you can use DVD2SVCD to encode the AVI file to Mpeg2/SVCD....

Cheers

3. ssqwebmst

ssqwebmst Member

Thank you very much for the response ....

Can you suggest something I can use to Rip the DVD in the first place such that I can use the resultant files in ScreenBlast for editing purposes ... I suppose it would have to be something that I could have both the audio and video stream as separate files ...

Thanks in advance ...

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes ...you can use Smartripper or DVD Decryptor to Rip the Movie as a single Big Vob file or as a single M2V Video file and a dolby AC3 audio file...

The problem will be that Screen Blast will not let you import M2V video files or Dolby AC3 files....

Like I said Mpeg isn"t a format that is meant to be edited and that is what Vob files are..If you want to do Native Mpeg/Vob editing then you should use an editor like "Womble Mpeg video Wizard 2003" as it will let you edit Mpeg/Vob files with Dolby audio without ruining the quality and it also has effects and transitions...

Why are you still makeing SVCD"s??? SVCD/VCD are Such Crappy Formats when on CD-R and there are so many different problems with SVCD/VCD Playback and the fact that you have to put each Movie on 2 or 3 CD-r"s just isn"t worth it, DVD is the way to go even for VCD and SVCD Files as you don"t get Playback problems and DVD"s are Cheaper than CD-R"s and so are DVD Burners..You can Put 3 SVCD Movies on a single DVD or 4 or 5 VCD movies on a single DVD and Blank DVD"s are only like .25c each and DVD burners are as cheap or sheaper than $50....

5. ssqwebmst

ssqwebmst Member

My apologies ... I should have been more clear with what I was trying to accomplish ...

I currently do web work for clients ... and the main thing I will be using this for is for making "teaser" clips of the DVD products that they sell in their online store ....

These teaser clips would be then posted on the website for people to download and watch or stream with Windows Media Player 9 or 10 ....

So ... my ultimate goal is not to create CD's or DVD's for later playback ... it's mainly making clips of existing DVD's for web viewing ...

I would need a way of extracting the video and the audio and then using some kind of video editor that would keep the two in synch ... and I would need to be able to cut clips outs ... and create a final product with full audio and video for viewing on the web.

I don't pretend to have all the answers here ... so if you have a fantastic way of me being able to accomplish my goals that I need to hear about then I would sure apprecaite your input ...

Thanks so much ...

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

So you Just want to Cut out clips from a DVD and convert the Clips to WMV format for Web streaming??

The only problem with that is that Most Video editors and Encoders do not Support the Dolby AC3 audio format that is used in DVD"s....

The only editor I know of that will accept the Dolby AC3 in Vob files and can edit and Render your Project as a Streaming Windows Media Video(WMV) file is a Program called "Ulead Media Studio Pro 7" ...

I just Tried it with a Small sample Clip and it works quite well and is Pretty fast at encodeing to WMV...

The only other Option I can think of would be to use a program called DVD2AVI to convert the DVD to an AVI file and then edit the AVI file in ScreenBlast and render as a WMV file but that way will take longer and won"t produce as Good of Quality because you are encodeing from Vob to AVI and then from AVI to WMV were with the other method you go directly from VOB to WMV.....

7. ssqwebmst

ssqwebmst Member

Thank you so much for the response...

What I will do this evening is use DVD2SVCD to RIP and convert the DVD project to SVCD format ...

I assume that a byproduct of doing this will be that I will have an AC3 audio file and an MPV file or equivalent video file left in the directory with the MPG file ...

I will then import those two files (AC3 and Video) into the ULead software (I downloaded the trial) and I will take it from there....

Do I sound like I am on the right track?

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

You do not need to Convert the DVD to SVCD format to edit it in Ulead Media Studio Pro 7, doing so will Just degrade the quality....
    I don"t know why you are useing DVD2SVCD at all if you are Trying to Make High Quality Streaming Web WMV Files....
    You can Load the Vob files directly off of the DVD into Media Studio and go directly to WMV format for Web streaming....

I don"t think the Trial version of Media studio is going to let you do anything with it...I believe the Trial version has all of the Rendering options Disabled and you will also need to have an AC3 decoder installed on your System Like this one:

AC3ACM Decompressor
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/AC3ACM.zip

Cheers