1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video playback crashes system

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ozer_85, Mar 17, 2005.

1. ozer_85

ozer_85 Member

hey,
    I've recently reformatted my hdd and I'm in the process of getting everything up and running again, and i've been having some problems with my video playback which i thought someone might be able to help with.
    Basically, my system crashes (the image freezes - i'm unable to move the mouse & have to reboot by pulling the plug) everytime i try to open a video file in wmp or windvd, but strangely worked when i tried in quicktime.
    i'm no expert, but i don't think its a codec issue as it doesn't even get to attempt the playback mostly, and i've tried installing both the nimo and k-lite codec packs. my guess is its a problem with my drivers for my video card: an ati radeon igp. i downloaded and installed the omega drivers (v. 2.5.97) which i didn't have before the reformatting when eveything worked hunky-dory, but i don't know how to uninstall them (they came with no uninstaller and i don't want to venture too far into the windows directories as that is what necessitated the reformatting in the 1st place). i've also tried installing the official ati drivers (albeit over the omega ones) to no effect.
    any help would be much appreciated,
    thanks, Owen

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

What you need is the Driver Cleaner Tool from Omega -- it is available here :-

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Once you have cleaned your system of the unwanted ones - Do re-installed the Manufacturer (ATI) drivers and your video card should be back to normal !

ATI do not like ""jobbers"" drivers ~~ smiles . Their owns are the ones that will perform !

Good Luck !

3. ozer_85

ozer_85 Member

Thanks, I think that got it.
    It's a shame coz I'd heard good things about the omega drivers. ah well....
    O