1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video quality for projector

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by irish80ca, Jan 9, 2007.

1. irish80ca

irish80ca Regular member

I might be in the wrong forum area but maybe someone can answer this for me. If I'm DL a movie what kind of quality should I be looking for to play on a projector. The screen size will be about 10'X8'.

I have a divx dvd player so I don't want to dl a full 4G/movie but I'm thinking the movies at 700mb are probably to low of quality.

By the way, when I do play a divx movie on my tv I always seem to see little squares (for lack of a better word), especially during a dark scene. What causes that?

2. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Those, my good man, are compression artifacts from whoever did the encoding on your movie....

...The reason for it is because normally Divx files of full dvd movies end up in either a 700mb file or something around 1.4gb; ...--either way, you'll probably notice that the screen is pixelated [<--that the word you're looking for?]from time to time--This is because for some scenes which require less motion/bit rate; they're given less bit rate so that it can be given up to scenes that demand more [i.e. action sequences]....this is the reason why sometimes you can see the pixelation; and sometimes you don't....

...this is also the reason that you see that many people like to 'crop out' the black bars on bottom and top of a letterbox/widescreen movie when they encode a dvd movie to divx; for that way it frees up more bit rate for the actual movie; hence giving you a better quality encode--as opposed wasting precious disk space on two black bars that absolutely don't need to be in the video.[<--although; when burning the .avi to dvd; if the movies' cropped; it's always important to remember to encode it in the widescreen aspect ratio; otherwise you end up with a stretched out picture that looks like crap; believe me, I did this on accident long ago when I was a burning n00b. lol]

I totally agree with you mate; from now I on I myself like to stick with movies around 1.4gb or higher; because they normally include AC3 5.1 audio; but still have a decent looking picture, too.

Hope This Helps;
    Cheers Mate
    --Halen5150