1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video source to receiver or straight to TV?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by lorden, Aug 15, 2007.

1. lorden

lorden Member

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my surround sound and my TV. I have my eye on a great receiver (Harman Kardon) and a Westinghouse TV.

Now my question is to maximize the quality of the video and audio should I:

(a) - Plug the audio source in the Harman Kardon receiver and the Video into the TV. (all optical and HDMI/DVI connections)

or

(b) - Plug both Video/Audio (HDMI/DVI - optical) into the receiver and with one hdmi connection from the receiver to the TV.

I always knew that the most direct source is your best option, but I wonder if I might experience out of sync (audio) issues if they don't get translated at the same time. On the other hand I don't want to lose any video quality going through the receiver.

Thanks

2. po43292

po43292 Regular member

The only way to know for sure is to experiment with your own equipment. See if you notice any difference. I run my DVD player component video straight to the TV, because I don't want to buy another component cable. :) Other things I run through the receiver to the TV.

3. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

In my 10 years of experience with calibrating and setting up equipment, i've found it's best to run the Video directly from the source (DVD player, etc) to the TV's Video input. Then you can run the Audio directly to the receiver. When you run the video direct to the tv, take note because you'll need to know which input to switch to on the tv to view what you intend to watch.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

An exception to this is:

If you have an HD DVD or Blu ray player, and your HK receiver processes the new HD audio formats, you'll need to go to the receiver first, with the HDMI, then to the tv. If your receiver doesn't process the new formats (passthrough only, or no HDMI inputs), you'll go to tv with HDMI, and to the receiver with the 7.1 analog outputs.

With a regular or upconverting player, do as Basenco suggested. Under normal conditions, the only reason to go to receiver first (with video), is easier switching between sources (won't have to change input on tv).

With nice, new equipment, you might want to consider a Harmony remote. Especially if you're married, or have a girfriend, and they have trouble operating 2-3 remotes, to try and watch a movie or tv. The Harmony will do everything for you, with the push of one button. Very easy to program online. At their site, you enter the model numbers of your equipment, and download the settings to the remote, via usb cable. It makes life much easier............ :eek:)
    Good luck!