1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video/Still combined and Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Leonidcat, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Leonidcat

Leonidcat Member

Hi - this is my first post... am new at movie making. I have Adobe Premiere 6.0, Pinnacle 9.0 Pro and Adobe After Affects. I did a movie using video and still pictures. Adobe Premiere showed the video as 4.3 as were the stills. I ran it into Pinnacle, picked a menu and burned it to DVD. What I got was stretch out still pictures. My TV is a 60" DLP. I set the aspect ratio to "Normal" on the TV (which is 4.3) and it still stretch. So... I tested another movie, but took the stills into After Afects and shrunk the width and left the height alone. When played on my TV that seemed to work (though the picture was not as good) so do I really have to do all that to get the still pictures to come out correctly when on that TV? I haven't tried a 4.3 ratio TV but believe my "unshrunk" movie would work fine in that case.

2. katolee

katolee Guest

This should hopefully fix your prob.

First export your movie from Adobe File > Export (leave uncompressed)

Then get a freeware program called Virtualdub. Open up the video file and if you have an audio file go to Audio .wav (you have to convert it from .mp3 if it's in mp3 format). and then go to file save avi and choose which format you want (Uncompressed would be best for now). Now look for a program called TMPG and and re encode that to a svcd, vcd or what ever preference you like and it will maintain the original ratio of the first .avi file.

If you get lost or can't figure it out you can PM and i'll try to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2004
  3. Leonidcat

Leonidcat Member

Thanks - I will try it this week. I appreciate they quick response.

4. Leonidcat

Leonidcat Member

Thanks - but I tried your suggestion to no avail. I have an Adobe Premiere file .avi and and After Affects file, .avi that I take into Pinnecle Studio 9.0 Plus in order to get the menus. I don't want mpeg2 because I am just burning it to DVD to show using my DVD player and TV. The problem is - my TV is HD. The picture stetches to fit the entire screen width wise. I have asked Pinnecle for help but they haven't been very responsive. Seems that the file says it's 4:3, but it's not when I show it on the TV. As stated I have set the TV to "normal" (4:3) and that didn't help either so I suspect it's with the software, not the DVD player or TV. I can shrink it using After Affects, but that is a lot of work since I have 100s of pictures. Perhaps there is some other setting in these programs that I'm not aware of.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  5. katolee

katolee Guest

So all the images and videos are all the same ratio on the computer right? No mpg 2 and u just want the video file on a dvd without the menus. hmmm.

Well you can convert the .avi into a .mpg (mpeg 1/vcd) and convert it to a single VOB file (which is a dvd video file) and you can burn that single file as data on to your dvd and it should still play and you won't have allthe menu's and stuff like that. Try converting the .avi file to .mpg (vcd) *SVCD is MPG2 (I think) and then convert the .mpg (vcd) into a .vob file and see if that will work. I may have one more thing to try if it doesn't.

6. Leonidcat

Leonidcat Member

No - sorry, I want the menus from Pinnacle Studio 9. All the video looks fine on my PC - my PC monitor is 4:3. When I take them into Studio 9 and add menus and preview they all look correct. Then I burn the DVD using Studio and get the stretched images when played on my
    TV. I also have "My DVD" and that is the same way. I have tried importing my stills into either of those programs directly and still they stretch so it has to do with my TV and DVD player I think. I am going to take one of my DVDs and play it on a 4:3 TV and see if that helps. My TV is 1280x720 and the images want to take full screen so they stretch wide.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004