1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Streaming

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wyattspop, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

This could fit 2 threads. hope this one is ok.
    I have my main desktop and router (Uverse) upstairs in my office, we stream videos all over the house (via Amazon Fireboxes), but streaming downstairs is intolerably buffered...I assume because it's wireless. Running Ethernet is not an option, would an extender from Uverse or a second router be the best solution...PS You guys are lifesavers, saves me so much heartache having you geniuses!

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Not knowing how your house is laid out, it is very difficult to say for sure but, you may need to move your router or even add a second router to be able to cover both floors..... Lots of trial and error involved with that! Hope you got more RAM memory for your main computer...... ;)

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what series is the router for wireless, "g", "n" or "ac"? the main pc I presume is wired, correct?

4. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Gotta be an N band, I just signed up for Uverse like 2 months ago, router/modem Uverse model #503 1NV-030. I have an upgraded 15 GB plan

5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Two floor home, my office is upstairs, where the Uverse Router/modem is, down the hall in our master, streaming is fine, and it's wireless, but nearly line of site when the doors are open. The home theater is down a flight of stairs and deeper in the home, not line of sight at all. Getting an Ethernet run from my office all the way to the home theater would be very difficult. Climbing into attic space not safe to traverse in my condition (spinal damage), drilling holes, and I can't imagine what a 100 ft run of Ethernet would cost anyway. I was thinking an extender? I do have a 2nd desktop downstairs that has one of those things that plug into a socket to make it better than a wireless setup, maybe I could hook something to that, it's just 30 feet from the home theater, nearly unobstructed...

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

A friend told me Uverse stock OEM is only G, so I guess it's time to buy 100 ft of Ethernet cable and an N 5.0 ghz router

7. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I guess I'll buy a Belkin N750 as I know the layout, I used to have one, but I'm told the Archer C5 or C7 are outstanding for my needs (fast streaming/no buffering)