1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video to DVD/CD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Gran-Pa, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Gran-Pa

Gran-Pa Member

Can any one please tell me where I can find out how to copy from my video pleyer to my computer and from there to CD or DVD. I do need to know how in minute detail, i.e what lead plugs into where. Also how to record from the TV to computer and is it possible to set a timer to start recording.
    Many thanks

2. Adavis

Adavis Member

I'm only venturing into Capture myself but i have quite a complex setup so i'll outline the basic for you and hope that helps

I'm using:

WinXP/ATI RADEON 9000PRO 128MB GRAPHICS CARD/AC97SOUND/Xpert Internal TV-PVR PCI Card

First of all you'll need a good graphics setup. I'd recommend a Graphics card with at least 128mb, however you can get away with just a TV capture card. The 1 i use above has S-Video/composite input jacks so i can send the signal from my video player into my computer. It also has seperate tv/fm antenna jacks for direct tv reception and auto-tuning.

At present i have my graphics card(with s-video out socket) plugged into an s-video-composite converter, which came with the card. that(yellow cable) plugs into the scart converter on my video and then the two audio jacks(red/white) come out from that into the audio sockets on my computer.

If you only have 1 audio jack on your computer you can get away with using a cable that joins left/righ audio from the video player however the sound quality will suffer without a sound card....i recommend u have at least ac97 sound chip.

If all that confused the hell out of you just remember that its about connecting 1 piece of hardware to another. The software comes later- using converters/scart sockets etc makes this possible unless you have an s-video compliant video recorder. Oh and theres 1 more little pain in the ass to get around...Macrovision, but i won't get into that here.

3. Gran-Pa

Gran-Pa Member

Thanks, I THINK I understand what you're saying, only one way to find out, suck it and see.

4. Adavis

Adavis Member

The hardest part for me was figuring out all the audio in/out connections(usually documented in the computer manual or on the back of you pc). Remember that with any capture card you'll be inputting audio from some source, i.e TV or Video and Ouputting from you Computer as well.

I suggest if you settle on a card you also check that you have all the right cables for this as well and if converting from video make sure you use Gold plated connections - nothing worse that hearing that annoying buzz all the time.