1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video to PC

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by pbstar44, May 12, 2007.

1. pbstar44

pbstar44 Member

Ok I need some help transfering the footage from my video camra tape to my PC. My question is, what cables and/or programs do I need to to transfer footage from the small tape inside my camra to go on my PC. NOTE: Video camra came with no USB cables or any cables to hook up to the PC. I have pics of the camra and the tapes from when I was going to sell it (if any of that helps.) http://www.putfile.com/pbstar44/images/30011
    Its a JVC Mini DV (as seen in picture 8.)

EDIT-I was searching and i found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124003 will that do?

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  2. lionkid7

lionkid7 Member

A USB cable would be the easiest way to solve that I think.
    For a firewire cable you need a firewire PCI card on your computer.

I'm not sure though if there's a difference between transferring via USB or Firewire. With USB you have to 'capture from device' your video. With Firewire I don't know...

3. pbstar44

pbstar44 Member

anybody know what kind of UBS cable ill need?

4. lionkid7

lionkid7 Member

I suggest buying a Firewire Cable and a Firewire PCI Card for your computer (if not already included in your PC).

Transferring with Firewire will assure no quality loss. Transferring with USB Cable may result in a frame loss i.e. quality loss, because of its bandwidth is controlled by the CPU.

Best thing to do is go to a video store and get yourself informed. But first google for Firewire and see how it looks like. If your PC doesn't have a Firewire port, I suggest buying one (about 20 bucks).

If you don't need a high quality do it via USB (make sure you have your camcorder driver). Use the USB Cable that came with the camcorder. Variations in USB cables are only related to the size that is attached to the device.