1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Vegas and Audio

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Crispy3M, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Member

Just getting into the Mini DV stuff. Have been reading and see that Video Vegas seems to be the preferred app. for rendering.

Question:

Got Vegas and captured my video and audio. Rendered my captured AVI utilizing the following setting:

"DVD Architect NTSC Video Stream"

Problem:

When I select DVD Architect NTSC Video Stream I get no audio.

Can someone point me to a good guide?

I have DVD Architect and Vegas Video.

All I want to do is create the most acurate DVD of my Mini DV tape possible.

Also, Vegas indicated that I droped a few frames while capturing. Is there a way to minimize this?

System:

P4 3.0Ghz
    Serial ATA HD
    Sony TRV22 w/firewire

Regards,

Crispy3M

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  2. malum

malum Regular member

If you are capturing via Firewire and your HD is set to DMA mode there is no reason for any frame drops (given your setup) unless the tape has damage.

Are you using Architect to create the VOBs?

If not then don't choose the Architect setting in Vegas as it doesn't render the audio.
    If you are using Architect then render the audio separately (as AC3) and drop that into Architect with the video.
    You can choose the DVD Architect NTSC video stream and then tweak the custom settings in Vegas (in the box after you click render as) to render the audio as well but if you do this then Architect will re render the audio so it will be rendered twice.
    You might want to experiment to see if you can get an mpeg2 output that Architect doesn't want to re render either the sound or the video of (I haven't had the time) If you manage then let me know. I usually let Architect rerender the sound or output it as an AC3 from Vegas if the sound quality is important

If you aren't using Architect and you want a DVD compliant Mpeg2 with sound and video choose Mainconcept MPEG-2 as the file type and DVD NTSC as the template. (you may actually be able to drop this in Architect and not have it re render the sound or video, I'll try it)

Vegas has so many output settings it's difficult to know what half of them mean!!!!

3. malum

malum Regular member

Just tried no luck, Architect still wants to re-render the audio.
    If you render the soundtrack separately as AC3 it works fine with no re-rendering of either the video or audio in Architect.

4. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Member

Malum,

Thanks for the reply. I have read many of your posts and was hoping you would have time to comment on mine.

After reading your response, I am able to get audio. I'm almost there!!!

Now, I open DVD Architect and load my Video file and my Audio file. But when I select make DVD, I get a coaster. I even tried using Nero to burn the Video_Ts file, but now have a matching set of coasters. LOL!

I guess, my next question would be... VOB? I know I'm supposed to convert my files to a VOB to burn, but I'm not sure how. I thought DVD Architect was doing this by "Preparing the disk"

If you have the time, any guidance or tips would be appreciated.

Regards,

Crispy3M

5. malum

malum Regular member

Boy it's difficult to get this site to work sometimes!!!

Architect should output two folders: VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, the AUDIO_TS will be empty.
    The VIDEO_TS folder should contain the VOBs and the IFOs and some BUPs (backups of the IFOs)
    These are the DVD filres and the both folders should be burned to the DVD.

When you say coaster does it finish burning?
    If not what's the error message?

If it does finish does it play on the PC? If not what happens?
    Does the resulting DVD have anything on it? (look at the contents using the PC)It should contain the above two folders.

If it does play on the PC and doesn't play on a standalone then do you know you standalone plays DVD-R or whatever you are putting it on?

What are you putting it on? Manufacturer? Dye type? Format (+ or - R or RW)?

6. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Member

Hello again Malum and thank you again in advance...

As you wrote, DVD Architect is creating both the AUDIO_TS Folder and the VIDEO_TS Folder and the Audio folder is empty. My VIDEO_TS Folder contains the following files:

VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_01_3

Perhaps of significance is the file type. Explorer lists them as Nero Show Time Files. Is it possible I have selected the incorrect file type before allowing Architect to render?

My Coaster Definition: Both DVD's finished burning with no errors. Neither will play in my PC or my Stand Alone DVD Player. When I try to explore the DVD in Explorer, the description changes from a DVD Drive to a CD Drive and the Disk appears to have no info on it. A quick visual check of the physical disk shows that something has definitely been wrote to the disk.

I'm using both TDK DVD+R and DVD-R, so I guess you could say that my coasters are not exactly a matching set. LOL!

Regards,

Crispy3M

7. malum

malum Regular member

well you have the correct files there (you don't have the extensions enabled for known file types but they are correct)
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB

Is what they will be.

Nero Showtime (which I do not have) will just have associated itself with IFO files or VOB files or both.

Have you burned any movies successfully to DVD with any software?

8. malum

malum Regular member

Oh and can you play the VOBs from the hard drive correctly?
    What DVD player software are you using?

9. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Member

Hi,

Yes, I can play the VOB files from the HD with no problem.

Yes, I have burned movies before, but only using DVD X copy, DVD Shrink etc., but I am in no way an expert.

I am using nero 6 Ultra edition to burn and Roxio Power DVD to view.

I'll go at it again tonight.

Regards,

Crispy

10. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Member

A little more info...

I am able to play the DVD in my Plextor PX-708A by using Roxio Dvd Player, but the Drive will not autoplay. Again, if I use Win Explorer to view the files on the DVD, it reports nothing as does Roxio Player if I browse the Drive. The only way I can get it to play is to just select my DVD drive (even though it shows no dvd) and play.

It sure seems as though I have encoded it incorrectly or something similar.

Enough for tonight...

Regards,

Crispy3M

11. malum

malum Regular member

The copy you burned with Architect should be the correct format as it does it all for you, there is no margin for error.

Can you try it in someone elses PC and or standalone?

12. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Member

Hi Malum,

Finally produced a workable DVD. When using Nero, I had forgotten to check the box that reads...

"Force DVD Video Compatibility"

Once checked, I had no problem. I would still like to know what format is being burned in DVD Architect or if there is also a "Force DVD Video..." button.

As far as lost frames, I rendered another home movie and this time left the PC alone so that all resources could be used by Vegas. I lost no frames when using this method. I guess Vegas is somewhat demanding, even on my System.

Thank you for all your help and take care,

Crispy3M

13. malum

malum Regular member

No problem, glad to be of assistance

I have found that just ignoring the errors that Nero throws up when inputting Architect files produces a working DVD.
    Although this is obviously not the case for you.
    It may be that your DVD player is just a bit more fussy.