1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video with VBR wont play properly

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by djforty, Sep 7, 2003.

1. djforty

djforty Member

Gday all,

I've searched the forums for the last hour, and cant find the answer to my question, so hopefully someone here may be able to help me.

I have downloaded some videos from the Net, and the media program I use is Media Player 9. The videos I have state they are variable bit rate. When I play them, the video just stops about 8 minutes in and wont go any further. The last couple I've got wont allow fast forwarding either, so I cant get the other 10-15 minutes of the clip.

Does anyone know of a way to combat this, whether it be by a different media player or some codec I havent been able to find?? If someone could help me figure it out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

DJ Forty

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Are these avis?

You can try to fix the videos by re-saving them with virtualdubmod.

Load your video into vdubmod.

Select Direct Stream Copy in the video menu.

Save avi.

(If a window pops up warning you about having a vbr mp3 audio stream when you load the movie in vdubmod just click No.)

3. djforty

djforty Member

Thanks for the tip powerdup, I tried it but it didnt work. The files are .wmv or .asf, and Virtualdubmod cant change them due to patent infringements.

I've been searching for the codec that supposedly will allow media player to play variable bit rate videos, but I cant find it anywhere. It has to exist if the person who made the video can use it.

Thanks a lot,

DJ Forty

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Sorry, I have no idea how to troubleshoot asf files. :)

5. Powa

Powa Regular member

Find the virtualdub version that supports asf. Its around on this site I think. Then head over to virtualdub forums, and search for 'incorrect vbr audio stream' or something to that effect. There should be a few posts on there that tell you how to change the vbr audio to normal.

Anyone know why the people encode their video with variable bitrate?? They must all be following the useless GordianKnot guide that says to use vbr mp3 :|

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well, GordianKnot allows you to choose a cb3 audio stream so its not that useless :)