1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VideoLinux

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by dolphin2, Jul 2, 2006.

1. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

There is now a Linux version that has been designed with Video (DVD) in mind. It's called VideoLinux. VideoLinux is in the Alpha stage. What this means is it's a very early release but something to keep an eye out for. I installed it on one of my computers and I'm seeing what I can do with it. I shall keep everyone posted.

The home page is: http://videolinux.net/news.php

There are some very interesting screenshots to look at if anyone is interested.

The ISO download is 479MB. It's a Live version but can also be installed to a drive.

EDIT: System installed upon.

It's on a slave drive to a P4 3.0 system with 1 GB RAM. Dual booting with Windows XP Pro.

Boot loader is different that what I've seen before with other Distros.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

First impressions..
    i had to use the 0.1 because of old hardware but it seems to work very well for an alpha.
    The partitioner/formatter didn't work properly for me so I used my DSL disk. Wouldn't reboot after writing new partitions, just froze instead.
    The other thing is the OS refuses to mount the floppy drive..not a big issue but I wanted to take a screenshot because it looks really good.

Seems to be built on Slackware/SuSE.. very similar in feel to Slax (ugh..KDE again). Everything included seems to work well, including the usb drivers which is a nice change. It's quite light on ram too. I'm running on less than 200MB and it plays dvd's well.

3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Are you running a dual boot?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd say steer clear of this as a main OS replacement for obvious security issues...
    It's nice as a secondary non-networked system though.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

No.. I'm running full on but non-networked for obvious reasons. I'm just testing it out to find exactly what it's made of and what it needs.
    A good add-on seems to be picofirewall..no link because I'm at work.

6. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Great.. I'll have to get me one.. Picofirewall is great but theres a fault in the config/reporting app..at least with debian.
    Couldn't link to it before because at work..runs nice with videolinux..installs easily.

9. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

I got the 2.1 Alpha and still having the same problem I did with the 2.0 version. I can't get the GUI to load. Yes, I've tried startx and ran the xorgconfig (also tried fxdrake). It runs really great off the CD but not with my dual boot. Any ideas?

@janrocks
    What do you think of the new additions? Did you have the same problems with the partitioner/formatter? That and the floppy didn't give me any problems (off the CD, of course). Any other problems you've had?

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Actually it's based on PCLinuxOS (which is Mandrake).

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hmm..strange problems with the GUI as well. Seems to load ok from the live cd but then does the BSOD business.. forced to do something it's hung at the enter runlevel prompt. There are no runlevel 2 tools on the disk either so no way to install it or format the drive (unless you know the command, I tried everything I can think of). I'm going to keep trying but there seems to be something major up with the live cd especially no install capability.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2006
  12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Is this with the 2.1 Alpha? I didn't have any problems with it. Let me explore a little and I'll see what I can come up with.

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I think what's happened is I have the live cd, not the installable one.

14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

There isn't an installation disc only the Live one.

Can you reburn the CD? You might have had a bad burn of the ISO. Or the ISO maybe corrupt. Did you check the MD5? Where did you download it from (what site)?
    ---------
    Found this info:
    On install DO NOT delete the guest account and do not create a new account we do this later. Once installed copy the contents of /home/guest to /etc/skel then create a new account in VCC > System > Manage the sytems user & groups.

This needs to be done as the /etc/skel is empty, this is a skeleton that is used for the config of a new user. I did it to save space my aim is to keep the .iso 500Mb or under

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2006