1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videos with fuzzy focus

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sshive, Jan 27, 2005.

1. sshive

sshive Member

Although .AVI files created on my MiniDV camcorder (Sony DCR-HC30)and passed via firewire to my PC are generally clear and void of artifacts, the resultant DVD, regardless of transcoding/authoring program used, appears unfocused with quite a few artifacts. I've used Nero6, TMPGenc, Showbiz, Studio 8, and Ulead products and get the same lousy results. The ouput DVD reminds me of a VHS tape recorded at EP. Any ideas about how I can get a DVD with quality closer to that of my .AVI files?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well first off Most all of the Software that you mentioned you have Tried is Pretty Crappy with the Exclution of maybe Tmpgenc..Nero ,Ulead ,Pinnicle and showbiz are all Pretty Mickey Mouse Programs Mostly used by Newbies who don"t want to take the Time and effort to do it Right the first time.....

It is especially true with DV AVI files that you need an extremely Good Mpeg encoder to encode these DV Files to Mpeg-2 with the best results and adding some Video Filters will help ,Like maybe a Noise reduction Filter and maybe a sharpen filter...
    Canopus Procoder 2.0 is one of the Best encoders for DV AVI files and it Produces extremely High Quality and has a variety of Filters to help clean up the Image...Also Make sure you are useing enough Bitrate when you encode and do a Multi-Pass encode if Possible useing VBR....

Cheers

3. sshive

sshive Member

Minion, you and some other "good MPEG encloder" might just be my salvation. I shall check out some that you suggest and see if this makes a difference. I wasn't aware that the old reliable standbys that this "newbie" is using are basically worthless! Lemme see what happens. I'll get back to YOU!!

4. sshive

sshive Member

MY GOODNESS, MINION!! Just did some checking on your recommendation and really can't justify a piece of software that costs more than the camera! Do you also recommend any more affordable solutions?

5. freeflt

freeflt Guest

sshive I have been trying to get my father-in-laws camera hooked up to my computer via firewire video capture card or firewire on the motherboard. How did you set up the camera and computer to do that. I am really lost on this but he is set on getting it done.

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If you want the quality of dvd from DV, you're going to have to either;
    a) Buy a good encoder, or
    b) Put up with crappy results.
    I suggest you take a look at Procoder Express, Mainconcept mpeg encoder, Cinemacraft Encoder, Tmpgenc, and QuEnc. (Noted from most expensive to cheapest, QuEnc is free, but requires a gui (also free)). Look in the tools section at www.videohelp.com
    Mainconcept will also serve as your capture device, taking the video directly from your camera and producing a compliant mpeg stream with it.
    Easily edited and authored to dvd.