1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VidX goes black about halfway through

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by xbeanx, May 13, 2003.

1. xbeanx

xbeanx Member

Hey guys. I'm trying to encode a VidX file, and it works great until about halfway though. The screen goes black and stays that way for the rest of the movie, while audio is fine.

Also, when I play the VidX AVI it plays fine all the way through. In the original it does not go black.

Does anyone have any idea?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

check the file with avifixed!

3. xbeanx

xbeanx Member

Thanks!!!!

I tried AVIFixed.. It broke my file. :(

The original vid was ~50 minutes. After using AVIFixed, it went to 20 minutes.

Oddly enough, this was the spot (exactly) where TMPGenc was messing up. Seems like it messes up AVIFixed also. Yet it plays all the way through using WMP (albeit choppy as hell).

I read something in the forums here about using VirtualDub to re-derive key frames then doing a direct stream copy. Does this sound like it would work?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

4. Dela

Aw shit, i was supposed to tell you to create a backup copy of your movie first, im sorry!

btw, virtualdub can indeed delete those frames for you but might put the sound out of sync!

5. xbeanx

xbeanx Member

I just noticed, the codec for the movie is XviD, not VidX.. HeHe.

Anyway, sorry about the stupid questions. The thing is, I only have a 466, so anything I try takes about 20 hours. If I had a faster computer I'd experiment myself, but at this rate, I'll be 50 years old by the time I find a solution myself.

I re-downloaded the file, since my last one b0rked on me. This time, when I ran AVIFixed, it kept the movie length correct, but the file looked like it was MELTING!

Pretty psychedelic, actually.

Does anyone know if DivFix works on XviDs?

6. Dela

You can try it, but i never use it i actually find avifixed better!

7. xbeanx

xbeanx Member

Well, I decided to try and TMPG the bad-acid-trip AVI created by AVIFixed. Lo and behold.....it works!?!

When I play it through WMP it is all distorted, streaky, colorful. When I start encoding through TMPG it looks perfect.

Lesson to anyone using AVIFixed. Before you delete your 'corrupted, fixed' file, try encoding it. It may just work.

8. Dela

Ye same thing happened to me before too! strange it is!

9. xbeanx

xbeanx Member

Thanks again, Dela.

Hey, one thing I noticed by reading the forums here is that you help a lot of people.. :)

You are a good person!!

10. Dela

Thanx!! lol :p

11. xbeanx

xbeanx Member

Oh my. I have run into another problem. Maybe you know this one too, Dela.. :)

When I checked this morning, the movie I encoded ended at approx 30 mins. So I skipped to the last frame (58628), wrote it down, and loaded the original (the AVIFixed original) into VirtualDub. Then I tried to go to frame 58628 and got the following error...

An integer division by zero occurred in module 'xvid'...
    ...while decompressing video frame 58628 with "XviD MPEG-4 Codec" [biCompression=44495658] (VideoSource.cpp:1719).

Does anyone know what the heck I am doing wrong? I've wasted about 75 hours of CPU time trying to encode this file. :(

12. xbeanx

xbeanx Member

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass guys.. :)

ONE MORE question: I went into VirtualDub, scanned for bad frames, found 15, and re-saved the AVI.

The resulting AVI was exactly 15 frames smaller, so it all looks like it will work. When I looked at the difference in sound frames, though, there was one MORE in the second AVI. So that's 15 less vid frames, one more sound. ?!??!!?

Would this take my sound out of synch? The reason I ask is that I am doing this all using remote desktop (I'm away from home for the weekend) and I can't actually listen to it to see.

The vids audio is in MP3 format, if that helps.

13. Dela

hmmm well check the file and see if its out of sync?