1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing AVI files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dipdog, Jan 30, 2007.

1. dipdog

dipdog Member

I have a pretty simple question about viewing avi files. I've started collecting avi files on a 400gb HDD. I've been considering different ways of viewing them on a television. Currently, I've been viewing them over a 54 Mbps wireless network on a 1GHz Dell Latitude C600 with 256MB RAM and the standard 8 MB ATi Rage Mobility 128 AGP 2X graphics processor using an S-Video cord connected to the laptop and the TV. I've been disappointed because the graphics on some movies skip a lot. I thought that the wireless network might not be transferring data quick enough, so I tried playing these movies directly from the laptop HDD, instead of over the wireless network, but the graphics are still not very smooth. Is this because the graphics card only has 8MB RAM? Would it be improved with a better video card?

Also, I've seen those new DivX HDD media players. I know this is a stupid question, but do they have incorporated video memory, or are they just hard drives with software for playing DivX? Would something like that do a better job of displaying video smoothly? And would you have to convert AVI movies to play on something like that?

Appreciate any help you can offer!

- Scott

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

I have a Radeon Express 200M 128MB graphics card with 512MB of Ram over a 100Mbps wired line from main computer, TV connected thru S-video and I have no problems viewing .AVI files in fact its better quality then standard satellite. So in my opinion it could be your system which in video standards is a little outdated or the program used to watch the movies.
    If your computer with the 400GB HDD has a good graphics card test that on the TV, to see if that is the problem.

The best work around if nothing works is to use Nero to convert to actual DVDs.

3. MellowOne

MellowOne Member

just go to wallmart and get a phillips divx dvd player then just burn your movies to cd or multiple ones to dvd then you won't have to convert anything- they cost about $50 dollars... and play great.