1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing PS3/XBOX360 HD on Laptop Monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JoshLogan, Sep 16, 2005.

1. JoshLogan

JoshLogan Guest

- Okay, the XBOX360 and PS3 gaming systems will both have HDMI outputs for high-definition video, and it has been said they will be able to play on televisions and computer monitors.
    - I am planning on buying a high quality notebook pc soon, which has a
    17" WXGA+ high-definition widescreen display (BrightView).
    - The laptop will also come with a TV Tuner.
    - I don't have an HD-compatible television, and I am wondering if it will be possible to somehow connect one of these consoles to my laptop's monitor, since it features high-definition quality.
    - I am not sure if this will be possible. I'm thinking it might only be possible on a desktop pc... not a notebook.
    - I tried to check if the monitor has any outputs, specifically an HDMI or DVI output, but I can't really find anything. Do any laptop monitors have outputs like this?
    - If making an HD connection isn't possible, my second question would be: Would there be a way to use the console's outputs in conjunction with the TV Tuner to play on the laptop monitor in any [non-HD] video format?
    - If this isn't possible with built-in laptop monitors, can external monitors be connected?

Using an HD computer monitor to experience the superior quality of HD would be far cheaper and more mobile than a television. I hope you all can help me out. Thanks.

2. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

First of all, you are looking for an input for your laptop monitor, since you will be playing your Xbox360/PS3 on that screen. I don't think there is a way to get the HD quality that you want, but if your laptop is going to have a Tuner card, then you can always convert the RCA (you know, the red, yellow, white A/V plugs) to a standard coaxial cable line to plug into your tuner card. That should work...

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

4. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Thats what I said without all the technical stuff :) Normally laptops dont have the right ports .

5. JoshLogan

JoshLogan Guest

Hmmm, alright. Thanks. Maybe I'll just buy a separate desktop monitor that supports HD. I still think it would be a lot cheaper than buying an HD tv.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You know there are such things as HDTV Monitors, meaning that they don't have analog or digital tv tunners. There pretty cheap (in more ways than one).