1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewsonic?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Knivez, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

My dad just bought a TV, this is it http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcdtv/N4285p/index.htm

I know Viewsonic makes decent LCD screens for PCs but i dont know about TVs, i was telling him that he might return it but before i confirm I want to know what you guys (and girls) think about it? He bought it for 1000$ so i know he got a deal but I'm just not sure about the brand. Any comments, ideas, or opinions?

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I haven't taken a look at the specs yet, but by looking at the name, I'd say it would just be good for a bedroom tv. I would have spent my money on something else. Those ViewSonic tv's usually don't have great color reproduction. Looks real nasty to me.

Update: It has a nice response time. It has the usual 500 cd/m2 brightness. The contrast ratio is ok, but what's the dynamic contrast? Does it even have one? That's probably were they skipped on the quality. I dunno, what does the picture quality look like to you?

I would have went with a Samsung or LG.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  3. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

I actually checked out the LG and the Samsung(they were right next to each other at costco) and based on the movie that was playing this one looked the best, ive read some reviews online and they say the 1080p experience is almost comparable to Sony/Sharp (a bit less quality) however if im watching something thats not in HD it looks meh.. and many reviews said that.. Overall for its price its not bad, the other Samsung and LG in that price range were not 1080p and had the same contrast and a lower response time.. overall for 1100$ its actually a pretty good deal.

I just never knew Viewsonic made Tvs now. If you want 42' TV with 1080p and you want to spend around 1000$ I actually would recommend this TV, however if someone has the money to buy a Sharp or Sony, then thats an obviously better choice.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Hmm, I found this 42" LG with a faster response time and a MUCH better dynamic contrast ratio of 10000:1. Going for 1299 right now. Here's a Toshiba REGZA 42RV530U for 1199 right now. It has a 5ms response time and a dynamic contrast up to 15000:1. Full 1080p, 8-bit display.

I find it hard to believe that ViewSonic had a much better picture then a Samsung or LG. I've seen those ViewSonic tv's in the stores. The whites look washed out and the blacks look muddy. What model tv's where the LG and Samsung?

What does resolution have to do with picture quality? It's either 1920x1080 or it's not. Doesn't get any clearer on a better tv. Picture settings such as contrast and color reproduction play more of a role in this.

Like you said, if someone just wants to spend 1000 bucks on descent tv, roll with a ViewSonic.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  5. talltrees

talltrees Guest

Yes I quite agrre, viewsonic is nice but I like samsng and LG better.

6. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Ok, thanks for the response guys, ill try to find a LG/Toshiba at same price range in Ontario, if i can ill return this one and get another.

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

You don't have to take it back, I just felt that you could get a much better tv for maybe 100 bucks more or so. If you are happy with the tv, then that's all that matters. :0)

8. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Yah goodswipe, the thing is I can spend another 100$ and if its gonna make a difference theres no point in keeping this TV. Ill go check out the other TVs before I return it and if i see enough of a difference ill change it..

9. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Best way to test is to bring in your own stuff and test it out. Or ask them to hookup a Blu-ray player or something so that you can get a good feel for the tv. I'd bring in a fast action movie, that will test the tv for sure. I mean, your going to be spending thousands of dollars right? It's the least they can do!

Good Luck!

10. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Hey goodswipe (and anyone else reading this)
    ok my parents have decided to up their price range to 1500-1600 $(Canadian)they also want a 42' TV (they don't want bigger for some reason). I recommended Sharp Aquas and Sony Bravia but i wasn't sure if they could find 42' of those TVs for their price range, do you guys have any other suggestions?

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

LG 47LC7DF - $1599 USD - yes it is a 47 inch, but run it past them. ;)

Toshiba Regza 42RV530U - $1199 USD

Sharp Aquos 42BT10U - $1599 USD

Sharp Aquos LC42D64U - $1480 USD

Excellent LCDs IMO:

Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, LG

Before I look at anymore, where will you be shopping? Costco? I looked around their site and they didn't have to many to choose from in your price range.

I found that LG at Best Buy and the other two at Newegg. You definitely don't want to order online, unless you have seen the tv in person and messed with it, IMO.

Just shop around and compare the following things:

Native resolution - What will you be watching? LCDs look best when they are displaying things at their native resolution.

Aspect ratio - Most LCDs these days are 16:9, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Response time - A fast response time will be good for watching sports, playing video games, and watching movies.

Brightness - Most LCDs have a brightness of 500cd/m2, but some don't. Check for this as it will be good for games and movies.

Contrast ratio - Some say 1000:1 is fine, I say at least 3000:1 or higher. Get one with a low contrast ratio and your color reproduction will not be as good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  12. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

K, thanks alot for your help, ill see what i can find
    Im shopping at Costco, Bestbuy and Futureshop btw

13. ccbl

ccbl Member

ontario you say? from ottawa or toronto? check prices everywhere when you find a model you really like.. chances are theres a place that sells it more a lot more and accepts price matches plus 10 percent off or of the difference.

i dont know about toronto but ottawa you can also try a store called bleakers... they have good warranty for repairs and such.

or drive to NY to circuit city or have frys from california ship to the border.

good luck