1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl Recording Help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Mikezoom, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Mikezoom

Mikezoom Member

Hi there everyone,

Im just after some advice/tips on vinyl to CD transfer, any hints, tips and software recomendations. If anyone has some information it would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks,

Mikezoom

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Mike: we would be glad to help you transfer your LPs to digital format.

In short, you need a decent soundcard. Keep in mind that the line-in quality of sound cards is MUCH lower than their output quality. I'd suggest at least a SB Audigy or Audigy 2, or you could go with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

It all really depends on the quality you are looking for, how many LPs you want to transfer, and most of all, your budget. You could get yourself a $100 consumer audio card, and a $100 "decent" audio editor like Adobe Audition or Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge. Either of those are good recorders.

Having said that, if you are an audiophile, like myself, I would recommend Pro Tools. It is the industry standard in audio recording/editing for the music, TV, and film industry. The quality of professional audio software and hardware simply don't compare to consumer products. Considering the power of Pro Tools, it comes relatively cheap. For under $500 you can buy an MBOX, which is a USB 1.1 powered 2 channel in/out 48k w. SPDIF audio interface, and it comes with Pro Tools 6. Its a BARGAIN for what it is capable of. The software is pretty easy to get the hang of. I've used it for over 6 years, and teach it at a college where I live.

But like I said, it depends on your budget, and what type of output you are going after. If you have hundreds of LPs, I'd recommend investing in Pro Tools. If you just have a handful, its probably not worth it.

Feel free to ask any other questions. Good luck

-Eric

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005
  4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, you have many options, depending on your budget. Diabolos' link has many free apps to use with your existing sound card if you so desire.

5. Mikezoom

Mikezoom Member

Thanks guys, all good information, I will look into both options, once again thanks for helping. :)

Mike