1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl to Digital?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by cjmkcm, May 6, 2002.

1. cjmkcm

cjmkcm Member

Roxio brags that vinyl to digital ia piece of
    cake. They now have an add showing a
    guy with a turntable next to a PC. Does
    anybody know how the turntable is
    connecte to the PC?

2. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

i personally havent seen that but...to hook it up is easy..either use hook up the turntable to a preamp and then to the line in on the back of the puter...or...use a different soundcard with left and right rca ins(you still need a pre-amp)..i havent done it but i have a mixer that i go through first for all my audio..it has pre amps in the mic lines..then i go into the audio ins on my video cap card.i would like to add..that this turntable idea is mostly a waste of time seeing how music is downloadable..but...if you or someone you know made a record and thats all you have then go for it.

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

http://www.terratec.net/ttuk/products.htm

You need something like TerraTec Phono pre-amp, or as suggested above, you connect to a amplifier with phono input and connect the amp (RCA-out, not the speaker conns!) to the soundcard. Then you can record you vinyls. You will propably want to reduce noise and hiss with some sound editing tool.

4. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

Some soundcards, or at least one, have phono inputs for turtables : the Terratec DMX 6fire.

5. lynx_two

lynx_two Member

Here is what I have set up: 933 Mhz MAC G4 with the Lynx_TWO Audio Card (Supports 24-bit audio sampled at 192,000 Hz), the Linn Sondek LP12 turntable; It costs $3,000, got it on eBay for around $1200, and it competes with a $30,000 reference system), and the NAD 1155 with AudioQuest's Viper line of RCA interconnects

Combined with 200 gram virgin vinyl, it rocks!!!

6. cjmkcm

cjmkcm Member

Where can I purchase Terratec DMX 6fire?
    I've searched for it in all my favorite places and cannot find it.

7. cjmkcm

cjmkcm Member

What about the Midiman Audiophile 24/96?

8. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

It does not have any phono input.
    Terratec Soundcards may be found in shops for Home studio.

9. maitai

maitai Member

In attempting to convert my LPs to digital audio files I'm getting a high level of "buzz" in the background. How do I eliminate/minimize this noise? Is it the pre-amp or the Mac G-4?

Here's my setup:

Denon turntable > preamp (Recoton SP-2 ) > USB Audio Interface (Edirol UA-3D) > Belkin USB hub > Mac G4 (dual 450)

Utilizing Sound Studio software to record .wav audio file. Adding file to iTune library then converting to MP3 and adding to playlist. Everything seems to work well except for the buzz. I thought it was a turntable short so I swapped tables... still get the humm. Am I improperly grounded?

I grounded the turntable to the stereo phono pre-amp chasis using a machine bolt and nut, however, I'm still getting a loud background buzz.

The pre-amp (Recoton SP-2) is certainly low end but was recommended by a Circuit City salesman as all that I needed. Specs:

Input: 5mV@1Khz
    Input Impedance: 110K Ohm/5mV
    Max Input: 30mV
    Frequenct response: 18 to 22,000 Hz
    S/N Ratio: >50 dB

Do I spend still more money and buy a more sophisticated pre-amp?