1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** Viper GC Extreme **

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by boki2002, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Considering it can use USB to back-up games, I could only assume that it would be very easy to back-up games.

2. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

When using this Modchip will I have to just the laser? If so is there a link as to how?

3. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The need to adjust the pot is determined on a GameCube to GameCube basis. If back-ups play fine without adjustment, then perfect. If they don't, then adjust it until it does.

4. boki2002

boki2002 Guest

dont worry about that yet man! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO U ALL

5. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

If I have to ajust the pot, will my original games continue to play or will I have to adjust it back to play original games?

6. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

If it can read back-ups, it'll be more than capable of reading originals.

7. boki2002

boki2002 Guest

your original games will still work. I can imagine chainging it for every game lol

8. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

Is that the reason that some mini DVDs don't work? All that is needed is to adjust the pot and all mini DVDs will work no matter what brand you buy?

9. igounfaze

igounfaze Member

I don't know much about this scene, as I am just entering it. But I have spent the last two days reading anything that I can find on this.

If I understand correctly: adjusting the pot will make it more reliable when reading other discs. But it is NOT the only thing that has to be considered.

My burner type, speed burned, program used to burn, good dvd-r/+r's (regular or mini), and a good iso backup of the original are also needed.

10. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

^^^

Exactly. Some brands aren't even worth using (low quality dyes and low success rate for burns), so no matter what your pot is adjusted to not all media is going to work well if at all.

11. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

I was thinking. If I adjust the pot down to a lower value (~250ohms), that would cause the laser to draw more current. Wouldn't this cause my laser to burnout or the laser life expectancy be less?

12. igounfaze

igounfaze Member

The laser would be a bit stronger. As more voltage is going to it. But I am not of the opinion that it will decrease the life expectancy.

Solid state isn't a 1:1 ratio kind of thing. Meaning: if the actual setting was 500 for X years, then it would be 250 for X 1/2 years. They don't work like that.

Below is a quote from one of my text books on electronics. I have to go now and pick someone up, but anyone feel free to correct me if needed.

13. Brewgod23

Brewgod23 Regular member

This explains the theory behind lasers but does touch on laser life expectancy by increasing or decreasing the laser current i.e. laser power. Increasing the surrent will increase the laser power causing the laser light source to heat up. This increase in heat will reduce the life of the laser. Are there other opinions out there?

14. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Many guides suggest that you adjust it to around 200 ohms. Considering most of these guides are pretty old now, I think it's safe to say you won't have to worry about your GC's laser crapping out anytime soon since the amount of people saying their GC won't play games anymore seems to be a pretty isolated occurance.

I had to replace the laser in mine since it stopped playing back-ups but still played originals flawlessly. Keep in mind, that this was a refurbished GameCube that has had already been through a couple thousand hours of gameplay. So I'd say unless you play a lot, you'd have nothing to worry about.

15. evlspcmk

evlspcmk Regular member

talking about life expectancy on lasers after pot mod, i dont beleive it will make it shorter, it may be a bit off topic but when i was modding my green laser pointer by tweaking the pot evry one said it wont shorten the life so it should be the same principal here

16. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Green laser pointer? Is it one of those crazy ones that looks like an extremely long light saber in the dark?

17. evlspcmk

evlspcmk Regular member

it shure is ;D its good for anoying people on the other side of town as it can go 10km

18. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

O_O

That's some insane distance.

19. boki2002

boki2002 Guest

Sorry about images people. The links now lead to a suspended website. Seems someone has not been paying all bills or a dramatic error has gone wrong somewhere! :(

20. stuffheh

stuffheh Member

I'm really glad I found this thread, answered quite a few questions about the incredibly small GC modding scene..

So it looks like Qoob pro, and the Viper GC extreme are the two top contenders for GC modding, and I myself would love to get in on a piece of this action ;)

SO, I'm already sure you have guessed my question. What would be the best chip for somebody who is going to use it to play almost completely gamecube backups. (from my own games of course! Is there any other way? ;)) I don't need a media center, snes/mame/whatever support. I would really just like to be able to play minidvd backups.

The lowest price for the Viper Extreme that I could find was 65 on console source. I've found the Qoob pro for about 45. What is the better bargain? And, could you guys post where you purchased your modchip, how good was the service, everything go smooth, etc.

//edit

Decided to read some of the stuff on the front page, and found that interesting thread on the problems saving configs with the Viper Extreme..and then a few praising the Qoob pro.

So, I'm leaning towards the Qoob right now, mainly from price and some positive postings. Please let me hear all of your thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006