1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virg-- piracy letter

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by tonkatoy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. smudger24

smudger24 Regular member

I bought from a website on line that was selling several different types of boxes. It was about a year ago so trying to remember what it was called. (Not fleabay or any auction site).
    Don't know what you mean by near the op? I am in East London but am not near an exchange or any V*rgin building. I reduced my package when I got my box about a year ago.
    I have the package that is one up from the basic so paying about £22 pound a month.
    Was thinking of ringing v*irgin and telling them I do not have a box or they might think I have, unless I contact them?
    Is it better to just wait and see what you clever people can find out first?

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

True Eva, we will wait and see, its just guess work as said ;) I just got a mail about it from a friend of a friend, directing me to here of all places :)

@smudger were they called Cleverbase?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  3. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Op means original poster, the person who started the thread. So you both had a more expensive package and then cancelled it for a cheaper one.

It's up to you if you want to ring them, personally i'd wait a day or two and see what other people come up with.

If anyone else has had the same letter and is posting here, please tell us your general area, and whether you downgraded your package or not. That way we might be able to work out a common thread here.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

hehehehe.. I would phone them threatening to cancel my whole package unless they inform you exactly who "told" them. You are legally entitled to know who is spreading "hearsay" about you so you can confirm it is false.

I had some bumhole buy tv equipment in a supermarket and next thing TV licensing are on my case (and they told me who the business which had given out my information was.. apparently it's a legal requirement under the data protection act)... but with my old name.. which tied it down to ONE person.. who promptly got a visit from my "friends" who made it impossible for him to enjoy his new TV for a few months while he was recovering.

Get investigating.. if push comes to shove go to the CAB and complain strongly about being falsely accused of a crime with no evidence other than hearsay.

5. smudger24

smudger24 Regular member

Yes they were called Cleverbase.
    As said, I am in East London.

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

@varnull true it does look like a call to CAB would be the way to go.

@smudger they were lets say "closed down" a few months ago, hence why I had a suspicion it was that supplier. Their records were also confiscated.

7. HiTeck

HiTeck Regular member

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Hi mate yep I know that well indeed and there were others that havent reached the black and whites.......well not yet.

9. HiTeck

HiTeck Regular member

Afternoon mate:)The police Probably relieved him of all customers details also :0

edit, LOL as you already posted :p

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Still its not a police state or is it ;)

11. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

The op got his from fleabay though. Were that company selling on fleabay as well as through their own website?

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep they sure were.

13. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Interesting, so it mightn't be fleabay, but just the people that bought off this company, whether it was through fleabay or their own site.

14. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Or it could just be a mailshot as said, I hate grasping at straws :) Could be anything really Eva, I have the feelers out so will wait and see ;)

15. taxi111

taxi111 Member

i got one of these dopey letters today. granted i bought a box four years ago got rid soon after,god knows how many channels of garbage. no tv no phone line fron vm just broadband. come and switch me freeview off if they want cos thats garb aswell. get all ineed off the internet

16. g7rjo

g7rjo Regular member

Evening.Had a phone call from pal telling me that his mate got a similar letter today.He also bought his box from Cleverbase. Cant understand though why they sent letters out knowing full well they would be talked about on forums such as this...why not visit and seize the boxes.I shant panic,I pay enough allready to VM for their crap

17. cbfb1

cbfb1 Guest

I got a letter today too.I've had my sv box for about 3 years and havent changed any packages,i also have a vm box with a chipped card in my sons room so i dont know if thats affected it.

18. varnull

varnull Guest

Give them the finger.. buy a freeview box and cancel your subscription because of "threats and bullying".. If they get argumentative.. well it doesn't take much to say.. "get a warrant then" and see if they can over hearsay.

BTW.. we DO live in a police state... have done for at least 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  19. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

20. cbfb1

cbfb1 Guest

04 - Page not found

Search Query: Independent.ie Web Search Advanced search
    The URL you requested could not be found.

Independent.ie homepage