1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virg-- piracy letter

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by tonkatoy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. sid999

sid999 Regular member

i have bought about 7 or 8 boxes off fleabay ...updated them and passed them on to mates at no extra cost....my box is 3 years old i pay basic package and have never lowered it...i have had no letter so i do not think it is fleabay....this is getting very interesting.

2. jam30

jam30 Regular member

what about your mates sid? have they got a letter?

3. apd06

apd06 Regular member

Is this one of Richard Branstons crack anti piracy squad members coming on here with fake letters to worry everyone?

4. sid999

sid999 Regular member

i suppose we all know a lot of people with boxes.....i work in a very big car factory in birmingham and i have a lot of mates with boxes and also know a few people who sell a lot of boxes and i have not heard of one of them recieving a letter.....so like i said its interesting...

5. mickarick

mickarick Member

So where have all the sellers gone from Ebay ?

6. sid999

sid999 Regular member

mickarick maybe they have been squeezed a little to stop letting people sell things that could be used illegaly ...but there are still sellers on there...only a few....i think i would have had a letter by now if it was flea bay...but you never know

7. mickarick

mickarick Member

I know what your saying m8 but as stated on here its not illegal to buy a set-top box so how V/M can put that in their letter is beyond me its none of their buisness what people buy from flea bay or anywhere else for that matter .

8. bzqwx2

bzqwx2 Member

I think the concensus of the debate here is that VM have received details fro fleabay? I am not sure of the legality of that as I am under the impression that our details on Fleabay are confidential? I am still thinking tat the way be are being targeted is through a sweep of ther email gateways for any emails containg st**view, Kry***view etc, then tracing the owner of the email address, this they can do legally. It appears there are people out there who have bought of Fleabay but have not been targeted so I dont think they are the wholey to blame.
    How can VM check what you are watching, the cable to the house is the same for TV and BB and I dont think they can diffrentiate the signal?

9. taxi111

taxi111 Member

me thinks one or two traders have been targeted by richie and the fraud squad and the details were taken from their paperwork/computer records.

10. Pooflake

Pooflake Member

Hi, I am a noobie but have received one of these letters and have been investigating it for the last couple of days.

I apologise if this is going over old ground for some but I have decided to put together what FACTS I know about this situation.

The letters sent are definitely NOT solely down to information received from buying boxes from fleabay. I have a few friends that bought identical boxes as me from fleabay and they have not received a letter. I have been using my St*rview for 2 years now and bought it from Fleabay. However, some people who have bought direct from supplier have also received letters

The letters sent are definitely NOT down to 'whistleblowing'. All the letters were received on the 5th and were country wide, it is NOT a coincidence.

St*rview can definitely NOT be detected as it's feedback function is deactivated.

It is definitely NOT Illegal to buy / sell such boxes untampered. It is only illegal to alter firmware etc with the intent to receive decoded channels.

It is definitely NOTHING to do with with downgrading of your VM package. Some people have changed, some not. I actually UPGRADED my TV package to XL recently yet I still received a letter

I tend to agree with the suggestions that one or two suppliers have been raided and have had their customer databases subsequently confiscated and investigated. These letters are nothing more than a blind shot in the dark - attempting scaremongering tactics without any concrete evidence. This is backed up by the fact that some people have received letters despite not using an 'unauthorised' STB for years.

If VM could detect the signal split and 'unauthorised usage' they would have done a lot more than send speculative letters. I also believe that VM are trying to show a concerted effort in accordance with the new S*Y deal.

Unfortunately for them, VM are too tight to spend the money on better encryption and detection. It costs too much to fully investigate reports too, so they don't bother. If someone can inform me of a case where someone's home has been raided SOLELY for post-detection st*rview usage I would be interested to hear it.

My advice would be to do nothing - the post above regarding data protection makes a great point but I choose to not validate VM's vain efforts by either confirming or denying the hearsay in their letter.

They can't prove anything. That's why they use terminology such as 'may' have purchased a box.

Happy viewing everybody.

11. tigercity

tigercity Guest

hi all after reading the threads about letters and so on . i have not recived a letter about my box which i have had for three years but did update the over night to see if there was any pay perview films that i could catch at the right time .but looking at the listings this notice has come up .!!!! please be aware the set top box you are using is unauthorised and you are committing a crminal offence by using it to receive programs from virgin media and if i have any questions about your illegal connection to virgin media net work and receipt of its services/then please call virgin media's hot line .so with all that do you think its just a random thing they are doing or do they really know about me doggy box ???

12. HiTeck

HiTeck Regular member

Has been mentioned a few times ;), ignore it as it nothing to worry about.

13. tigercity

tigercity Guest

thanks hitec .just another thing or two lol with eurovox boxex not been sold on flebay were would i be able to buy 1 for future ref as i have the 2006 model and have had this for some time and touchwood no probs as yet and is there any news on a HD eurovox box coming soon !!! i carnt see why you carnt buy a eurovox box from e-bay if it dont have the firmware installed ???

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  14. tigercity

tigercity Guest

am i getting this wrong but just been on flebay and eurovox boxes are still for sale ???

15. malci

malci Guest

Correct, if you put a search in you will find them for sale, as said it is not illegal to sell or own/purchase a FTA receiver, and they have no right to request anyone to dispose of one either, it is of course unlawful to modify the said receiver to connect to your suppliers cable and obtain subscription channels with out paying. But hey this forum is for an exchange of information soley for Educational and Experimental purposes, so lets keep the information flowing back and forth, and let the greedy CCs get their own house in order in any way they see fit, I can suggest one way, lower the damn charges they levy and make it affordable to the masses, and people lets not get paranoid about any forthcoming advertising blitz on TV.

16. bakerboyz

bakerboyz Guest

it is not illegal to sell or own/purchase a FTA receiver, and they have no right to request anyone to dispose of one either, it is of course unlawful to modify the said receiver to connect to your suppliers cable and obtain subscription channels with out paying.

how does that work out for people on mmds where no cables are used and the signal is in the air? lol

17. malci

malci Guest

Oh dear, rephrase that, how does suppliers network sound, lol

18. cheney74

cheney74 Member

ever been on channel 510?

19. Frankie23

Frankie23 Guest

Hiya

I received one of these letters today!! Bit worried about it! Did anything else happen to people that received these letters and what would you advise me to do?

Thanks

20. HiTeck

HiTeck Regular member

I really wouldn't worry about the letter, others have had the same and nothing has come of them.

a question for you out of curiosity,

when and where did you buy your box from?.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009