1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virg-- piracy letter

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by tonkatoy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Lowton69

Lowton69 Member

i bought my box from there but got it sent to my mums address who dose nt have sky or cable but they still sent a letter to my mrs house which i have no connections with they told her they d found out through paypal but my mrs dose nt have paypal or any other internet account the most my mrs dose on the net is go on facebook so i think vm is cluching at straws myself

2. bluebud90

bluebud90 Member

i wonder if there just mail shotting people then altho i do no that about 5 people now including myself all got a letter and all bought from that site so who knows? maybe some of the others mite be able to help :)

3. noelyf

noelyf Regular member

Just read back a couple of pages on this thread, very entertaining stuff :D

4. topcat96

topcat96 Regular member

Just as an update on this (and the fact I never saw the thread otherwise I would have commented by now)

I received one of these letters last September from VM and all my boxes came from Ebay. From what I personally have both noticed and partly guessed, it goes as follows ...

1) VM's fraud department scans Ebay for companies selling the boxes.
    2) Fraud department contacts Ebay and asks them politely for seller's details.
    3) Ebay usually complies (even though they sometimes say otherwise in public)
    4) VM fraud department passes details to police and together they plan a raid
    5) The raid happens, people arrested and customer details seized
    6) VM fraud department send out the letters
    7) Letter recipient usually goes through the forums looking for advice

Best advice in the world if you are a paying customer for even 1 of their products like a phoneline is to complain like hell - demand details etc.

If you are NOT a paying customer, keep your mouth shut and say nothing.

5. desulph

desulph Regular member

I dont think an international company would bend the rules and release peoples details after telling you that your details are kept in confidence. Surely they wouldnt fancy being dragged through the courts for false advrtising? In my opinion I think the people who have received these letters have either left too many details in a forum or chatroom, or (and more likley) they have plain old grassed on! Sometimes it pays to keep quiet, even friends can be enemies...

6. Lowton69

Lowton69 Member

no mate think your wrong there when we contacted virgin she told us info about a paypal account an it all goes back to cableboxshop.co.uk as for friends nearly every person prob 100% av a box so i cant see it being any of them

7. desulph

desulph Regular member

Surely paypal accounts cannot be discussed by anyone? Its an online bank! Privacy is paramount. And the only reason I mentioned someone being grassed on is because it happened to a lad from work. He got a letter just like that one although this was last summer. No more action was taken against him!

8. bluebud90

bluebud90 Member

well theres no chance i cud have been grassed as no1 and i mean no1 apart from my wife knows i/we have 1 or shud i say had 1 (coughs) excuse me lol and also from what i have read on here and other forums the shop in question cableshop.com who got busted it will be there paypal accoun the police and vm are looking at not our own as induviduals if your with me on that peeps?

9. bluebud90

bluebud90 Member

sorry also forgot to mention i have never ever spoke on a forum about anything to do with eurovox, dbox, starview etc so theres goes that suggestion thanks fo ryour input tho :p

10. bzqwx2

bzqwx2 Member

As I said last september I personally dont think it is anything about being 'grassed' up or even any 'shop' passing info on, even though some have been raided, if this was the case thepolice would have knocked at your door not a 'polite' letter asking you to disconnect box and take out 1 of there packages. My believe is that all the peeps who have recieved the letter have used a 'shop' or eBay to purchase a box or even a connector and used your @ntlworld.com addess for email confirmation, I think VM have scanned there email gateways for mails with Star***w or Euro**x etc in subject and then traced your address, If this is the case change your email address to a hotmail etc if you are to purchase items in the fuure.

11. bluebud90

bluebud90 Member

i have never used my vm email addy i dont even know the password lol i always use either yahoo or hotmail addys anyway i am going to ring em today to see what they say and if they start being arsy am gonan fusk there package and then get it put in wifes name lol probs get it cheape ranyway as a new customer just have to wait a few weeks to get it set up thats all lol :(

12. bluebud90

bluebud90 Member

ok been on fone had bit of a barny with the wifey i told her the truth that i bought it for a friend of a friend called mark she asked his surname and addresse which i did not know, she said it doesnt add up u bought it for sum 1 u hardly know to which i replied yes:D now i told her i didnt no wot the letter was about to begin with i could here her typing away and she said have u not bought anything from a website about a year ago so BINGO it is cableshop.com anyway long story short i said wot do i do with this letter she said as long as ur not using it which i am not as i dont have one then no further action will be taking and bin the letter so thats that but i got a feeling an engineer will be knocking soon to TEST the lines in my area :S hope this helps peeps :)

13. Lowton69

Lowton69 Member

there is no way they have been scanning out emails it is defo cablebox.com ,,, cause it was my mrs who got the letter an its me who does all the buying an i also had it deliverd to my mum s address my paypal is under my mum s address so why send a letter to my mrs when i have no connection at my mrs address at all STRANGE

14. Lowton69

Lowton69 Member

whats even stranger the woman who my mrs rollocked at vm yesterday has phoned back today to see if we want take an of her super offers what she offerd us yesterday lol the cheek 1st accuses us of using an illegal box then tries offer us some crazy deals she s phone back tomorrow so she s going to get were switching to sky for falsley accusing us ,,

15. scandalou

scandalou Guest

well it seems its best to avoid 'cablebox' purchases....one thing usually leads to another,so its prob a matter of time before they start scouring other internet suppliers,uk based..word of mouth is the best way,to be on the safe side,cash only will do the trick...