1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virtual dub help

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by tuffstuff, Jun 15, 2004.

1. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Guest

i i recorded on my pc a show the other night. using my winfast pvr 2000 deluxe card i had it set to mpeg2 opt quality . i used v-dub to edit out the commercial and it started to make file over 96gb in size. i left everything at default, but i guess that was wrong lol .
    should i have it set to direct stream copy? and is there a tut on editing out the commercials ? all help would be appreciated
    thank you in advance
    tuff

2. hp01jpc

hp01jpc Member

Hello buddy

I have never used a tv card before, but I have used virtualdub a fair few times and I think I know what might be the problem.

You need to either tell virtualdub to do a fast recompress if you want to convert to say DivX or Xvid codec, or as you say do a direct stream copy where the compression remains the same. You can probably reduce the size of the file by recompressing, but it will obviously take a while to do. Direct stream copying on the other hand takes very little time.

As for editing out the commercials, this may not be the best way to do it, but it should work...

Use the markers (the black icons on the bottom, far right) to mark the first half of the program up until the adverts. Then save this bit seperately, using either the fast recompress or the direct stream copy. Then repeat the process and save the second half after the commercial break has finished. Now you should have two files, and all you need to do is join them together. You can use Vdub for this too, it's in the menu under 'append avi segment'. I would go into more detaial but it's all quite intuitive when you get in there and have a play around. You can if you wish use another program like easy video joiner or something similar.

Oh yea, the reason it was saying 90Gb is because you probably had it set on save to uncompressed format, which gives you a mammoth file size.

Good luck, and don't worry, Vdub is just about practise, it's really easy when you get the hang of it.

James