1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual dub needs a certain codec -which one?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Batis, May 16, 2003.

1. Batis

Batis Member

I have seen a couple of threads here that have asked about this particular error: "Couldn't locate a decompressor for format 'dvsd' (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video." The only response to this question was to locate g-spot in the software section and download it. Well, since it WAS named g-spot, of course it was impossible to find. Could someone help me with exactly what is needed for Virtual Dub to read this .avi file (created by VFAPI) correctly? I'm following the exact directions in the afterdawn dvd - divx instructions, and this is my first hitch. Please help!

2. Clove

Clove Guest

I know you said you followed the instructions, but did the VFAPI Reader Codec install correctly? Just a guess, I'm pretty new at this myself.
    -Clove

3. Batis

Batis Member

Good question. I extracted the folder and am assuming that is all I need to do. But I could be wrong. How do I install the codec (I was under the assumption that it did it automatically when the program was installed).

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

What are you trying to do exactly, encode something or watch a video, and if you are encoding, what is your source file, dvd, avi, mpeg...

g-spot? lol type that in yahoo and all youll get is some sort of sexual manuals on how to please a woman or something. lol! You should just type it without the hyphen, nevermind though because ive got the link to the site:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

5. Batis

Batis Member

Okay, for those who have run into the VFAPI codec problem, simply go to the .bat file in your VFAPI folder and double click it...I have Windows XP professional and it intalled automatically in DOS...it was super fast and easy.